A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

2.8L 30V Head Job Done (Dont use aft mkt tensioner!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Joey T

Default Let me answer:

1. Thank you for your attention.

2. Your company intimated that the installation was an issue. In both cases.

3. The reason I do not think an ASE tech should do the job is clearly there in your techs post. His failure to perform the procedure correctly is rather humorous. I suggest a new tech for your company or that your current tech purchase, and read, a Bentley manual for the cars he is working on.

It is a simple job, difficult to do incorrectly, but requires quality parts for the installation.

If your tech has you convinced that ASE certification is important, I suggest you do some research on your own.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Joey T

Default I did. From an asian guy in LI.

BBS, chipped, lowered....
Old 12-17-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Joey

Joey T,

I appreciate your input. I feel as though our mechanic is more than qualified considering the fact he not only has to know about Audi/VW, but also all other foreign and domestic vehicles on the market. Point being, he is at anyone's disposal that needs to talk. His direct line is 877-634-0063 ext 206. We could go back and forth all day on who is more qualified but I feel as though we are steering away from the purpose of my response.

Point being, I am not here challenging anyone's skills on this board. I simply have to find out what is most important to this whole thread. Is this tensioner defective? Do we need to take it off of the shelf? Do we need to replace it with an NTN OEM tensioner? Was it installed incorrectly?

Myself personally, and FCP Groton- We are not here to sell substandard parts. We are here to stay in business, to make our customers happy, and make appropriate corrections. It is the nature of auto parts to fail eventually, but it also human nature to error. Customers will install parts incorrectly, a part sometimes will be defective.

Lets work together to gain an understanding on the reason , or if there is even a reason why this is occurring. If the part is defective- we need to know and we will take appropriate action. If the part is not defective and was installed improperly, we also have to know and the community has to know to gain knowledge on the correct procedure.

With that being said, Joey I do value your opinion and I am here if anyone needs to talk.
My direct line is 877-634-0063 ext 202.

Any additional input would be appreciated.
Everyone also needs to keep in mind that we are taking our time to read and respond to this thread because it is vital to the livelihood of both parties here.

Kind regards

Scott Drozd
Old 12-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Joey T

Default I agree.

If you want to speak with me directly, you can e-mail me and I will call you.

That being said, my suggestion is to change supplier on the tensioner. Here on the board alone we have four failures of tensioners, and the only thing they have in common is the place they were purchased. I don't know if you are buying from IMC or directly from China, but please take into consideration what we have learned today:

It isn't an install issue, and you have more than one failure following a common patern, and you are the only ones experienceing this failure pattern.

Have a good day.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 AM

Default Re: I agree.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears as though there is not four failures, but two individuals with multiple failures. If we look at our order history on that part number 078109479E we have sold 1400 units over the past 4 quarters. Out of the 1400 units, only 1 came back "defective." That "defective" one that came back, was actually an original NTN OEM Japan unit that came directly from PAC.

So currently, I have one claim of a defective original NTN unit, and some unsubstantiated claims on the board. We have yet to receive ANY of these so called defective units back at our company. The likelihood of an NTN unit defective is virtually non existent, and these other units have never even been sent back to us.

In fact, half of the kits we send out have the NTN tensioner in them simply because PAC or IMC has sold out of the aftermarket unit.

At this point I have no tensioners back at this facility with the exception on an OEM NTN sent back 6 months ago, I cannot even make a determination of the brand mentioned in these threads if I don't physically have the part here.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:33 AM

Default Re: I agree.

And as a precaution we have substituted all timing belt kits with 078109479E NTN for the time being.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Joey T

Default Well done.

You linked to a post that had two failures from FCP, JP has one, and the guy who lives across the street from me has one. I count four.

BTW, you linked to a post pointing out that not using the factory tools could cause a tensioner failure, and then your tech posted a how to that does not include the factory tools. Seems...odd.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/30vv6/msgs/4735.phtml">He had two FCP failures...</a></li></ul>
Old 12-17-2008, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Well done.

Ive tried my best Joey. Seems like you can't make everyone happy.

Kind regards
Old 12-17-2008, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Well done.

The tech posted the article based on the what I requested from him-that most individuals did not have access to the tools- Which most don't.

Therefore he explained the procedure based on that.
I thought by showing this procedure, we could identify the room for error by doing the job without the tools. I apologize if there was any ignorance on my behalf. I do not personally work on vehicles to the extent of my clients.

If he had evidence that everyone had access to the tools, he would have obviously instructed based on that. It is the safest way to go.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Joey T

Default Seems like by changing the tensioner supplier

until you have more information you have done all anyone can expect.

Kudos for taking that step. I understand that you only resell parts, and have no control over build quality, and your being here shows that you care at least about company image, and probably the end user.

I will look forward to your findings in the matter. If you think of it, let me know.

And, if you ever have an issue in the Albany NY area, I would be happy to lend a local assist. I make a living working on these cars, and have been on both sides of these issues.

I am a *****, but I am a pretty smart *****

Quick Reply: 2.8L 30V Head Job Done (Dont use aft mkt tensioner!!)