A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

2000 A4 2.8L V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 A4 2.8L V6

I'm replacing my head gaskets as there is coolant leaking is there anything I should do before I reinstall it eg with timming I have it all marked before i took it apart? So while the heads are out im replacing the valve cover seals
Old 07-29-2013, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKEG204
I'm replacing my head gaskets as there is coolant leaking is there anything I should do before I reinstall it eg with timming I have it all marked before i took it apart? So while the heads are out im replacing the valve cover seals
Did you pin the crank? What did you mark? How did you tell your head gaskets were leaking?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Did you pin the crank? What did you mark? How did you tell your head gaskets were leaking?
You really will want to break the cam pulleys loose and use the cam lock bar to set timing, As far crank pin who cares, set it by the balancer mark like most people do. When reinstalling you will want to roll the engine off TDC slightly so that when reinstalling the heads there are no pistons at TDC and possible valve damage if the cams happen to be in the wrong spot. Just put the cam pulleys on spinning free, the belt on, pull the tensioner, put on the lower cover and balencer, set the marks, use the lock bar on the cams, tension the belt, then if every things perfect, tighten the cam bolts. Done, set.

You really sure its the headgaskets leaking? Is it externally or internally? Overheated badly? I just have never seen one with a blown head gasket.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
As far crank pin who cares, set it by the balancer mark like most people do.
Crank pin is critical in setting the timing correctly.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Crank pin is critical in setting the timing correctly.
...no its not. Id love to see one case where somebody whos competent had any kind of reduced performance, economy, check engine, cam correlation codes from not using the pin. There are none. Theres nothing wrong with doing it that way, ill bet many Audi dealer techs dont use the pin either, what a total waste of time especially on flat rate, on 2.7T cars its misrible to put in.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 07-31-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

I think its a matter of certainty, that with the pulley and plastic timing cover removed, you wouldn't know if somehow the crank got moved. Plus, the pin-hole being drilled into the crank during manufacture, the position will be dead-nuts on. I've wondered, though, how many times people have hit the starter with that thing still installed.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo510
I think its a matter of certainty, that with the pulley and plastic timing cover removed, you wouldn't know if somehow the crank got moved. Plus, the pin-hole being drilled into the crank during manufacture, the position will be dead-nuts on. I've wondered, though, how many times people have hit the starter with that thing still installed.
Agreed.
There is a difference between "seems to run fine" and "right".
I don't care how good you think you are, your eye is no match for the pin, especially when you take into account variances in the plastic cover, crank, key, sprocket and harmonic balancer.

The mark and your eye is customer acceptable. The pin sets timing to spec.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think its a matter of certainty, that with the pulley and plastic timing cover removed, you wouldn't know if somehow the crank got moved.
Uh you put the belt on, pull the pin, put the lower cover and balencer on, line up the mark, tension the belt, then tighten the pulleys with the bar on.

Oh and how do you guys explain VW 1.9TDI engines with the same style balencer and mark on the cover, and uses a cam lock tool, and has the pulley broken free to spin for tensioning, just like 2.8/2.7 cars, but no crank lock tool. How is that acceptable but its not for a 2.8 or 2.7T? Why would they ever put the marks there in the first place?? Many companies like ford will make sure not to put mark on the balencer so the pin must be used. Enough said, the lock pin IS OPTIONAL. Not critical, nor detrimental, the car performs exactly the same. Period.
its fine if you wanna tell people its a good thing for rookies or if you have lots of time to spare, but to say its "Critical" is a completely false statement and is misleading to somebody like in other threads are in a hurry to fix their car.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 08-01-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Oh and how do you guys explain VW 1.9TDI engines with the same style balencer and mark on the cover, and uses a cam lock tool, and has the pulley broken free to spin for tensioning, just like 2.8/2.7 cars, but no crank lock tool. How is that acceptable but its not for a 2.8 or 2.7T?
Time your cams however you like, I've always used the tools that lock both the cams and the crank, but to each his own.

The 1.9 is a four-cylinder with one cam sprocket? There is a big difference in cam belt length, and consequently, more error possible when trying to get two cam sprockets and a crank sprocket all in the right place when there is a finite number of teeth on the belt, on the V6. But like 4Driver4 said, the shortcut result will probably be acceptable to the customer.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Time your cams however you like, I've always used the tools that lock both the cams and the crank, but to each his own.

The 1.9 is a four-cylinder with one cam sprocket? There is a big difference in cam belt length, and consequently, more error possible when trying to get two cam sprockets and a crank sprocket all in the right place when there is a finite number of teeth on the belt, on the V6. But like 4Driver4 said, the shortcut result will probably be acceptable to the customer.
Wouldnt the longer belt seem to be affected less by crank difference? That would make more sense seeing as its longer, so a smaller difference is even smaller to a longer belt drive vs a short belt drive

Last edited by Prospeeder; 08-01-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 A4 2.8L V6