A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

2000 diff/rear shaft seals

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2000 diff/rear shaft seals

It's been a long while since I've been under a B5, but I've got a line on an inexpensive one that I might use as my winter car. Current owner states that the "prop shaft" seals are leaking on the diff and rear. I never had to change these on any of my past Audis and my memory is a big foggy....how much of a bear is it to replace these seals?

Best,
Old 12-31-2009, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 diff/rear shaft seals

I have not done it but researched what it would take. I have a complete list of seals and "O" rings needed and have even purchased all the parts.
I think the easiest thing to do would be to remove the rear diff from the car. From what I can see, the torque tube will have to be removed from the diff in order to remove the propeller shaft to remove/replace the seal. The propeller shaft will need to be removed with a slide hammer puller as it is a snug fit in the bearing. Replacing the 2 drive shaft seals is easier using the 2062 seal driver tool to correctly position the new seals.
I have dimensions for the 2062 tool if you need them. I also have a list of all the parts and part numbers (Audi and Parts Geek) if you need them. The only thing I would ask in return is a lessons learned and procedure if you do it so it goes easier for others.

al
Old 12-31-2009, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by stingerk1200rs
I have not done it but researched what it would take. I have a complete list of seals and "O" rings needed and have even purchased all the parts.
I think the easiest thing to do would be to remove the rear diff from the car. From what I can see, the torque tube will have to be removed from the diff in order to remove the propeller shaft to remove/replace the seal. The propeller shaft will need to be removed with a slide hammer puller as it is a snug fit in the bearing. Replacing the 2 drive shaft seals is easier using the 2062 seal driver tool to correctly position the new seals.
I have dimensions for the 2062 tool if you need them. I also have a list of all the parts and part numbers (Audi and Parts Geek) if you need them. The only thing I would ask in return is a lessons learned and procedure if you do it so it goes easier for others.

al
Sure, that would be very helpful. I don't see any FAQ around for it so perhaps I could take some pics and do a short write-up as well.

Best,
Old 12-31-2009, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Please do, I've noticed a leak coming from the rear on my ride too. You would be doing a great service to your country by providing this information! ;-)

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2010, 04:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A4 Rear Diff Parts List

Hello Ritz:
I'm trying to figure out how to post the spreadsheet of parts (excel) and a diagram of the 2062 seal tool (powerpoint). Forum will not accept these attachments.
What do you suggest?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by stingerk1200rs
Hello Ritz:
I'm trying to figure out how to post the spreadsheet of parts (excel) and a diagram of the 2062 seal tool (powerpoint). Forum will not accept these attachments.
What do you suggest?
Sent you a private message with my email address.

Cheers!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Do you really have to go through all this? In the BENTLY manual, it says nothing about removing all this stuff to bring the rear diff down. I'm actually in the middle of this process myself.

Anyone know if I really need to buy the VAG star key for the filler plug or can I use a standard 6 point star? I have star that fits but is starting to strip the plug. I looks like it does not seat all the way either. Wondering if there is a taper in there or something. May just have to bear down and buy Special Tools (Grrrrrr).