A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

2001 A4 1.8T non-bose stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2000, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 A4 1.8T non-bose stereo question

How easy is it to upgrade the front and rear speakers?? Am I going to
have to put in a new amp? Or can I just swap the factory speakers with
a different brand?

any recommendations??
Old 10-05-2000, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ooohhh...Oooohhh, I know, I know <hand in air>

First, you can't just swap out the speakers - the rears have a built-in amp.

Second, I have done what you are proposing - swap out speakers and add a 4 channel amp.

Third, it's not easy, but not extremely difficult. I'd give it 3.5 on a 5 point scale.

I replaced my speakers with Polk Audio components, and ran them thru a Kenwood 35 x 4 amp.

Here is what you have to do:
On the back of the head unit: splice in RCA jacks to the rear line level outs/gnds and splice in wires for the front speakers/gnds.
On the fuse block, connect main amp power to #30.
From the connector that was removed from the left rear speaker, splice your amp power control wire to the white wire on the connector.
You'll need speaker adapters (I made my own using luan board and foam door insulation).
That's it, just run the wiring, hook everything up, and enjoy.

I would highly recommend the OEM CD changer for this setup if you're leaving in the OEM headunit as I did because the tuner isn't the greatest.

How does it sound? Pretty damn good, although it could be cleaned up a lot by adding a passive EQ which I am thinking of doing.
Old 10-05-2000, 04:46 AM

Default Speakers probably better than amps...

The amplifiers (in particular for the front) are your typical bridged-running-off-12V radio variety (sometimes claiming 20W) and they require a very effecient speaker to produce any SPL. Most aftermarket speakers will require much more power than these provide. On the otherhand the stock speakers will sound better and cleanly play some louder with a higher quality and higher power amp driving them. Note that the front woofers are small and nothing you do will allow them to produce significant bass (including replacing them). You would be better served to insert a hipass crossover before the amps to these speakers. I would guess a first order around 200Hz or a higher order between 100-150Hz is good. They will then play subjectively more loud without overloading. Work on the rear speakers to get bottom end. Something like JL Audio's Stealth box for the A4 looks nice.
Old 10-05-2000, 06:18 AM

Dude, chuck it all and start over. There isn't one single piece of that crap worth keeping.
Old 10-05-2000, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Dude, chuck it all and start over. There isn't one single piece of that crap worth keeping.

I aggree except for the stock deck, I know it licks compared to high end units (I have run them all in the past) but there is something to be said for looks! Listen to Glen. I have dropped in a powered bass tube to satisfy me until I can do a complete upgrade. I am going to SAS 4 and tweet in the front doors, MB Quart 6 and tweet on rear deck and still deciding on sub and amp. I think I am gonna loose the spare and fiberglass in the wheel well as an enclosure that way the stock trunk carpet throws in and nothing is visible.