A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

20K service tomorrow. Here's my laundry list. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-1999, 08:48 AM
DavidP

Default 20K service tomorrow. Here's my laundry list. Any suggestions?

First of all I fear that the dealer will look at the following list and go down one by one saying, "What noise? We didn't hear any noises. The mirrors heaters work fine. That's normal. ETC... You really shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet." I've had bad experiences with this dealer before. Unforunately they're the only one within 70 miles. I'll be taking my car to another dealer if any of the below items are not addressed. This seems likely, but I dread taking a half day off work when I don't need to.

BTW, I'll be using Mobil 1 15W50.

Here's my 20K laundry list:

1. Clutch makes a popping sound when depressed. A clutch squeek was first reported at my 15K service in Cary, North Carolina, during which they replaced my clutch master cylinder. A few hundred miles later the intermittant popping started.

The pop comes from the area of the clutch rubber "boot" in the driver’s side footwell to the right of the steering column . This is NOT the soft double clicking sound the toggle switch makes when the clutch is fully depressed. This problem was documented 5000 miles ago and still very annoying. Ambient temperature seems to have a lot to do with how loud the pop is. Please find a permanent solution to this problem.

2. Center console trim area around the shifter makes a lot of noise when the car is in motion. Please fix.

3. Steering column makes creaking and groaning noises when turned at a slow speed, < 5mph.

4. Outside heated mirrors do not heat up. Please replace. Refer to Technical Bulletins 66-99-01 and 66-99-02.

5. One front floor mat fastener cover is missing. P/N ZVW 178 001. This part is listed as "spare parts."

6. Headlights make uneven pattern on the wall. Please check headlight alignment. Refer to Technical Bulletin 94-98-01.

7. Wind noise is heard by the a-pillar. Is there a fix for this? (TB 66-99-04)
Old 09-07-1999, 09:03 AM
DaveL

Default Noises are tough...here's what I did.

I had a dash board rattle that would happen only on right handed sweeping turns. I went out with the tech and drove and pointed the noise out and he listened and identified the source. He was able to silence it.

Your best bet is to go beyond describing noises to actually demonstrating and reproducing them to the tech who will be working on your car (the tech, NOT the service advisor). Hopefully yours are ones that you can easily and consistently reproduce rather than intermittent ones.

Request that the tech go on a drive with you and don't take no for an answer.
Dave
'97 1.8TQMS Wett
Old 09-07-1999, 09:10 AM
EricB

Default Good advice...

The tech took me for a drive when I had the problem with the driver's lower seat frame. After about 5 min. when he could not reproduce the noise, I was ready to give up, but he kept at it and was soon able to reproduce it. If the tech can hear it, you stand a good chance at getting it fixed.

Eric
98 1.8T QMS
Old 09-07-1999, 09:35 AM
RickS

Default Let me know about the clutch.....

I had my clutch master cyl. replaced and 2000 miles later it is making the popping noise you referred to. It is very annoying as I can feel it in the clutch pedal and sometimes in the brake pedal! Have you nad any problems with your right front suspension clunking?
Old 09-07-1999, 09:44 AM
Patrik

Default To your No 2: I have noises coming from that area, too! (more)

It happens mainly when the car is cold and it's a buzzing/humming noise.

When I apply pressure onto the are it almost goes away! its very annoying!
Let me know what they did to get rid of it!

I would also recommend that you go on a drive with a tech so he cannot say they didn't hear anything! once you demostrated the noise, they HAVE to deal with it!

Patrik

PS: What model year is your car?
Old 09-07-1999, 09:59 AM
adc

Default What about the clutch clicking noise?

Mine is making a soft clicking noise (similar to a switch being pushed) at the very top, when I am just beginning to depress it.

It's annoying, but doesn't seem to be affecting the operation of the clutch. Is this normal???

adc
Old 09-07-1999, 10:00 AM
DavidP

Default 98.5 1.8Tqms

Old 09-07-1999, 10:01 AM
DavidP

Default Nothing from the suspension that I'm aware of

Old 09-07-1999, 11:38 AM
DaveN

Default I've had the "pop" before...

on two cars, my old 87 5000TQ, and on the 98 A4. It is the rubber boot on the clutch shaft, I'm not quite sure how to discribe what it is doing, but it is expelling air as it moves from one position to the other (maybe a "fart"?). The 5000 did it shortly after I replaced the master cylinder, the A4 from new. I tried lubing the 5000, didn't seem to do any good. Both went away after the rubber had benn flexed over a few months though.
Old 09-07-1999, 11:42 AM
DavidP

Default No this is not normal. Same problem as the pop, only when not very loud.

Quick Reply: 20K service tomorrow. Here's my laundry list. Any suggestions?