A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

300HP too much for 1.8T?? Modified A4's overheating on the tracks?? Need input...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-1999, 11:11 AM
Cathleen

Default Re: tuning

I wasn't saying you shouldn't get opinions from others at all. I merely said give APR a chance to answer your questions too.<br>Anyway, I guess I have read an awful lot about tuner cars in all the tuner magazines as well as being an owner of a tuner project car. I understand the long process all too well.<br>It all depends on what you are doing. If you are doing a kit that already exists, you can get it in a short time. If you are having a lot of custom work and prototype stuff done, then you are talking about a long process. I happen to be the latter. A testbed for a project. Of course, once the project is complete, it won't be a long process.<br>I'm sure I am probably spouting stuff you already know about, since you had a tuned vehicle before. I don't know what the circumstances were that caused your previous car to be an 8 month project. <br>If you are buying an upgrade that is like the APR kit, it's pretty cut and dry. However, as you know, there's a big difference between buying upgrades that are set packages and delving into a real project car where many parts may be custom orders. When doing that, you may deal with parts being sourced from overseas, or custom design work and so on. A brake upgrade, coilover kit, chip & exhaust, manifold, cams, whatever should be a no brainer.<br>If you're waiting on parts from Europe, longer wait......a custom body panel, special order racing parts, etc.....longer lead time.<br>In that case, 8 months for a comprehensive custom project car is actually not long at all.<br>For APR, they have a product already to market and another on the way with stage III. They are good people and although I am biased in that way because we are affiliated with them, it is the truth. I wish you the best in your endeavor.<br>-Cathleen (owner of the red A4 2.8 12v modified by Vortrag Motorsports....soon to have a modified ECU by APR)<br>