A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

30v: Cool intake noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-1999, 01:36 PM
ScottSt

Default 30v: Cool intake noise

Thought I'd share my experiences w/a $0 intake modification.

What did i do? I took out a ~3X3" piece of my airbox. somewhat carefully chosen.
What was the result? Exactly what I was looking for. I can finally hear the engine -- very cool intake noise under load/throttle. It sounds great.
Any performance difference? Technically, I may lose power, as the intake air is probably slightly warmer. What I do sense is slightly better throttle response (which is consistent w/airbox mods on my other cars). Because of the noise, the car feels faster, and is more fun.

Details:
- I removed a square chunk (approx 3X3 square, following the reinforcing grids in the airbox) from the left/lower side of the airbox (side away from the engine). This chunk was just below the "intake tract" that the cold-air tube connects to. Note, the cold-air tube is still in place, and I think it continues to provide great value.
- To be a bit more specific on placement: If you examine the lower half of the airbox, you'll see where the cold-air intake hose connects. It connects to a smooth, divided tract that curves into the lower part of the airbox. Below this point (in the airbox), the inside surface of the airbox is covered with a "grid" of reinforcing ridges. I simply cut just within a 3X3 Grid just below where the smooth intake plenum for the cold-air ends. This is a flat portion, that is relatively easily to surgically remove w/a dremel and a cutoff blade. Took all of 5min.
- Obviously, the lower half of the airbox needs to be removed from the car to do this. This is a matter of removing the 10mm bolt that holds it to the side of the engine bay, and pulling up.

Note: I'm using a K&N, for a) improved flow, and b) a bit of a safeguard against moisture if some gets splashed up on the back side of the airbox.

Mods at your own risk, just fyi.

Scott Stiles
'98 A4 30v/qms
'99 M3/2