A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

3rd Brake Audi rings update.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-1998, 11:53 AM
CHRISTIAN

Default 3rd Brake Audi rings update.....

I've been playing around with the CHMSL (3rd brake light) Audi rings that I told you about yesterday, and here is what I've come up with:<p>I printed the graphic on transparency film with a laser printer, and then cut it out (as pictured above), and put it over my CHMSL. Problem is that the ink from the laser printer is not dark enough to block out the bright brake light. So, the effect is completely lost. So, I then grabbed my black paint, and put a layer of paint on top of the laser ink, and then it was dark enough to be noticed by cars following you (BMWs, Acuras, Saabs).<p>Problem is, how to mass produce this? I can talk to my local printer about what it would cost to make black stickers like the picture above. You could then put the sticker on the red brake lense. Which leads me to problem 2; the CHMSL cover is easy to remove, but it would make everything easier if I could remove the entire CHMSL lense unit. I can't see any easy way to take it off without removing the entire rear deck. There seems to be 2 screws that hold the CHMSL to the rear deck, but you can't access them from underneath in the trunk. You can see the 2 screws that hold the unit down, but can't access them with a screwdriver....maybe if I drilled access holes I could get at them.<p>OK, next thing to consider is cost. Should this be something we should make at cost so that no one makes money? Or should we inflate the price to help fund A4.org. I would rather not see something like this cost more than $6. If we all agree that this would be something to help the forum, shall I continue to work on this. Or should I turn it over to someone else?<p>I just had the idea, now you all can decide what to do with it.<p>I put a picture in the picture poster, but that usually never works for me, so i'm use it won't show up.<p>Christian
Old 10-29-1998, 12:05 PM
Jason

Is it legal to put designs on your 3rd brake light? ..if it is..i'm all for it.
Old 10-29-1998, 12:08 PM
Howard Kim

Default I think it is cool! I would pay for it.

Old 10-29-1998, 12:13 PM
Cameron

Default How about using the vynil material they use for adhesive numbers

nt<br>
Old 10-29-1998, 12:16 PM
Mike

Default How about Option 1, with the two outter bulbs blacked out as well? Then just the rings will show...

.<br>
Old 10-29-1998, 12:16 PM
Oscar

I will buy you one. Are you CHRISTIAN or Christan Long?
Old 10-29-1998, 12:25 PM
CHRISTIAN (J. Long)

Sorry, same guy, just got tired of typing my full name!
Old 10-29-1998, 12:42 PM
Glenn R

Ditto, for me!!!
Old 10-29-1998, 12:50 PM
ErikR

I like it, prefer #2
Old 10-29-1998, 12:55 PM
Koushik

Dodge trucks have a little ram in their 3rd brake light, so I'd say yes.

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Audi rings update.....