A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

3rd Brake Audi rings update.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-1998, 01:12 PM
T2

Default Neat idea - I like option 1 because.... (& add A4?)

I think option 1 would show off the rings better, or at least that's my guess. Ideally this would be added to the inside of the car, as you suggest. Perhaps a 'bumber sticker' approach, putting it on the outside of the window is another possibility? I would pay a few bucks for this - I like it!<p>Another Idea... to use up the whole width, how about the following: OOOO A4 ? (With the propoer A4 font).<p>Tom<br>1.8TQMS Silver/Ecru
Old 10-29-1998, 01:37 PM
Oscar

I forgive you son! (nt
Old 10-29-1998, 02:27 PM
Cathleen

So that's CHRISTIAN (4 Short)? Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 10-29-1998, 03:12 PM
Steve B

Default Trademark problem

Before you start marketing something like that, you should get Audi's permission, since they own a trademark in the four rings.
Old 10-29-1998, 03:45 PM
shyster

Default Re: Trademark problem

Yup, look at Disney and MIckey Mouse-they are very aggressive in protecting their trademarks
Old 10-29-1998, 03:47 PM
jfl

Default i like it but...

i like it but will the heat generated from the light melt the film into a sticky mess....<br>but, it reminds me of the lit "pontiac" name on the rear of those sunfires? kind of cheezy.<p><br>
Old 10-29-1998, 04:35 PM
Josh L.

Is this what I have to look forward to in married life :-) I'll buy one if you mass-produce...
Old 10-29-1998, 04:51 PM
AD

Default #2, because...

I'd say go with the second one, not necessarily because it looks better (it doesn't), but because it leaves a lot more area for the brake light to do its job. I think option 1 would stop too much light, may also get you in trouble with the law. The more light it stops, the more it heats up and has a chance to melt.<p>I'm also thinking that adhesive may not be a good idea, because of the heat could turn it into a disgusting (flowing) paste. How about those static-cling sheets? Or maybe a stiffer sheet of plastic that could support itself.<p>Just a few thoughts...
Old 10-29-1998, 07:41 PM
James

Default What I did with my cars. . . (just me rambling)

Hey Guys,<p>I mentioned this in my original post about the third brake light design, I've got something similar to what Christian has in mind. <p>Instead of the four rings, which as Christian's pictures show, don't exactly use the space available too well, I have a silver "quattro" vinyl decal over the lense of the third brake light. The decal fills up the available space perfectly, and the colour matches very well with my four rings on my trunk lid (the only badge left in the back of the car).<p>I've had a "TME" logo in the third brake light of my Volvo 740 16v for a few years now (TME is a Swedish Volvo tuner), this is why I wanted to put a design in my A4 as well. I thought it would be my own thing, at least for a while. Started to see a few Civics in town with stickers over their third brake lights now as well. <p>The reason I mentioned my Volvo is because I had quite an easy time installing the TME design. The red lense of the third brake light is removable on the Volvo, so all I did was print up the TME logo on a regular sheet of paper (not transparency) and stuck it on the "inside" of the red lense. The light shined through the white part of the design perfectly, and the black part printed my my HP LaserJet 4L covered up the light quite adequately. The light is not hot enough to cause the paper to ignite. <p>Just wanted to tell you that black printed on a regular sheet of paper might be dark enough. However, it might not work on the A4 because you can't put it behind the red lense, and it would look silly if you put it on the outside.<p>As for removing the third brake light assembly, Christian's right. You can't get the unit to come off without removing the rear deck. Those two screws can't be accessed from the trunk. Just remember, when you're removing the rear deck, make sure you've unplugged the third brake light from the trunk first.<p>One last bit of rambling. I think Christian's designs would look great behind a tinted rear window. Where you can't see anything until the brake pedal is depressed. Then, all you see are the rings. Very cool! Then it wouldn't matter as much that the rings don't take up the whole space of the third brake light. Also, I think for this application (behind tinted window), design one would be the best. And take out the two outer 194 bulbs. Then all that lights up will be the rings. <p>Ok, enough bandwidth.<p><br>James Wu<br>A4 Club of Vancouver<br>1998 Black/Onyx 1.8tqa w/ "quattro" over the third brake light<ul><li><a href="http://avant.extreme.com/va4">A4 Club of Vancouver</a></li></ul>
Old 10-29-1998, 08:53 PM
ChuckH

Default I like option #1. Also...

...would you consider a trim to fit option for those of us with other Audi models, as well? I agree on the heat issue, but since laser printers don't melt them, and the third brake light isn't on all the time anyway, maybe it will be OK. I think I have some transparency film. If I have the rings somewhere, perhaps I could experiment too and get back to you on my finding. Trademark infringement would probably not be an issue if you don't advertise them, and you are not profiting. That means that selling them on A4.org may be risky, unless Audi OK's it. <p>Charles<br>

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Audi rings update.....