A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

is the 3rd brake light supossed to be on when the headlights are?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2000, 05:06 PM
rasin

is the 3rd brake light supossed to be on when the headlights are?
Old 01-27-2000, 05:15 PM
Ray Calvo

Independent of headlights; comes on only when hit brake pedal (nt)
Old 01-27-2000, 05:33 PM
Vin

Default just a tangent about the third brake light...

...i would like it if the third brake light flashed whenever the ABS was invoked to mimic flashing brake lights as if you were pumping them yourself. not just in my A4, but in other cars i've had with ABS, i've come to controlled stops on slick surfaces only to have someone barreling down on me from the rear. all they see is steady lights and a steady stop even though my ABS is flailing wildly. i've just about run stop signs because I was afraid to stop for fear i would be rear-ended. i'm thinking that, short of doing a donut, a flashing brake lamp would at least clue in drivers behind you that something is amiss on the road ahead of them.

just a thought to think about. ABS 5.3 is kick ***, BTW =)
Old 01-27-2000, 06:20 PM
mm

Are you referring to the high mounted rear brake light or the rear fog light?
Old 01-27-2000, 06:36 PM
raisn

Default I am talking about the high mounted one. (MORE)

I changed a bulb in my tail light and i noticed that the third brakelight was on when i turned the headlights on .. i pushed the brake and it got brighter... i don;t think this is normal becasue i have never noticed it before.. what could be wrong?
Old 01-27-2000, 06:40 PM
rasin

ohh yeah and no matter what i do the rear fog lights on the right side wont go on.
Old 01-27-2000, 06:44 PM
Andy Hedin

There is no right side fog light, it's only on the left
Old 01-27-2000, 06:47 PM
raisin

yeah figured that out by the archives. but is teh third brake light supposed to be on
Old 01-27-2000, 07:10 PM
Andy Hedin

Default No (more)

...something is clearly wrong if your third brake light is on when you're not touching the brake pedal. I'm afraid I don't even know what to suggest other than have your dealer look at it.

Andy
Old 01-27-2000, 07:22 PM
mm

Default The third brake light should not be on except when the brakes are applied...

...in which case it should activate with the left and right brake lights. Just to be 100 percent clear, "third brake light" refers to the one in the lower center of the rear window on the rear deck of the A4 sedan, and along the upper edge of the rear window in the A4 Avant.

This should not be confused with the rear fog light, which is located in the left corner rear light assembly only, and comes on when activated via the switch on the dash along with the front fog lights and the headlights.

Quick Reply: is the 3rd brake light supossed to be on when the headlights are?