A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

5 Days, 547 miles, (1 1/2 yr in making) New Owner Report

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-1998, 11:38 PM
Kirk

Default 5 Days, 547 miles, (1 1/2 yr in making) New Owner Report

Well...<p>I am coming from a 94 Acura Integra GSR Sedan. Truly a great car in its own right. <p>I picked up my 99 Silver/Opal Gray 2.8 Q on Saturday. I chose to forgo the Husky Football Game and since they were destined to be creamed by UCLA, I believe that I had the much better afternoon than all of the fans in Husky Stadium...<p>Options--umm...everything, Q, Tip, Sport, Sport Seats, Moonroof, BOSE, Trip, Leather, All-Weather.<p>First impression--The broker where I picked it up (it had been there a week), said that everyone who had come in had gone over to my car and mentioned how impressive it looked. I couldn't agree more. Even inside, the Silver paint was AMAZING. What a hue (I won't even go into chroma, and value). I guess you could say that was an "off colour" joke. Anyway, first impression was puppy love.<p>Starting it up in the showroom/garage--the engine sound was pure joy. Filled the room and settled nicely. Pulled out into sunlight and never looked back...<p>The weather really cooperated in Seattle this last weekend. First it was sunny and relatively warm. Time to test the sunroof and check the paint. Happy to report that my Silver paint appears to be flawless and I spent a good 20-30 minutes checking every inch. NO evidence of the H2O imbibation that others have reported. I had StonGard and StonGard Light applied along with a paint sealant (I know, but this was by a local detailer I trust and a good product which is applied by hand and worked and then waxed.) The detailer said that he really LOVED my car and the paint colour/quality. He does a lot of high end cars, Bradley's Detail in Bellevue, Wash if you are interested. <p>Then, Seattle began to have off and on torrential downpours--MAN this beast can grip. I have never felt confidence in a vehicle as I have in this, not even in the parents' JGC's with AWD. GLUED to the road. Speedbumps are wierd, almost like I used to slip over them or something in my old car, this car tends to grab and push/pull at the same time.<p>I drove around 200 miles throughout Seattle/Bellevue/Eastside this weekend in mainly city driving cautiously following break-in advice from Owner's Manual (a relatively good read for those who ignored it). This car has much more power than I remembered. I barely tap on the gas and I am up to 40 MPH. I am pulling away from EVERYTHING at the stoplights (remember, I AM following break-in advice, rarely hit 4000-4200 RPM). <p>Tiptronic is SMOOOOOOOTH and RESPONSIVE. It really does not seem to have much lag if at all, MAYBE a second, definitely NOT two. Downshifts occur upon immediately goosing the accelerator just a little more than if you just want to slowly increase speed while maintaining gear (auto mode). I am thoroughly impressed with this transmission and it's shifting. It really senses when I want it to kickdown or not. <p>My favourite driving has been on leaf covered, curvacious, West Mercer Way on Mercer Island. As I said in a previous post, I know this road like the back of my hand, grew up driving it, know every manhole and banking turn. There are some wonderful dipping 90/90 S-turns (you know 90 degrees to right while dipping down and then 90 degrees left while rising up. TOTAL fun in this beast, wet leaves be damned!<p>Sound--Silence.....As my mom stated, "This is quieter than the 540" Hey, NO FLAMES, it's mom and trust me when I tell you that she KNOWS her cars, she knows the seats, she knows the power, she knows the noise levels. She was thoroughly impressed with the A4 too and this comes from a woman who always points out the smallest flaw (umm, it's nice that you cleaned the deck dear, now would you grab one of those toothbrushes you brought me and scrub under where the siding meets the deck?)<p>Other sound--BOSE--Nice, Erykah Badu (Boomy), Eagle-Eye Cherry (just right), Sting (whoa), Acid Jazz/Trip Hop (OH BABY!!!) (Come on I'm a YOUNG dentist, we don't all listen to soft rock, although I like that, too) RDS is cool, I am even getting ONE whole RDS station in the toolies of Eastern Washington. GALA is imperceptible (not like in my brother's Tahoe where it is the equivalent of CRANKING the volume up or down, talk about overkill). Radio reception is great, no problems like others have reported. I do have it set on DX and that may have an impact. I REALLY like not having external antennae.<p>Trip Computer--too cool, can't stop playing with it, very interesting for my 3 hour commute back to Eastern Washington.<p>Seats--Leather Sport Seats--Love them. Great support. Took some adjustment at first, was a little worried about firmness but now, totally comfortable and my back doesn't ache like it did in the old 94 Integra GSR cloth seats. Seat Heaters are GREAT.<p>Lights--interior--awesome RED, awesome overhead cabin/reading lamps, exterior (read headlights)--not sure if they just plain SUCK or what?! Let me clarify. I adjusted them UP a little, noticed the dealer had already done so (evenly and yes I was on level ground). They seem to illuminate road signs splendidly, even at great distances, but the road itself, unless it is the whiter concrete, is not as well lit. Now, I must say that I have gotten used to them, but they are a definite step-down from the projectors on the Integra, although I knew I would miss those "daylight approximating wonders." A new Honda Accord pulled up next to me at a stop light and I noticed that his light pattern on the car in front of him was MUCH brighter or maybe more focused than mine was. I would like to upgrade here, but we'll see. They are fine for now and brighter than many other cars, just not as bright as the cars with more focused beams, like my old Integra.<p>POWER--plenty of goose juice in this bad boy. Those infamous Mountain Passes were NO PROBLEM. I don't think I ever even made it to half-throttle much less self-imposed 3/4 throttle break-in limit. I was still able to maintain, or increase quickly, my highway speeds on steep ascents, passing everyone.....I cannot tell you how many times truckers would crane their necks in their rearview mirrors as I was coming up on them, smiling (both of us). Got a thumbs up from a black 96 or so S4 driver on I-90 towards Issaquah, too.<p>Well, I maintained speeds at or below 85 MPH for the most part. Usually going from 65-75 MPH on the way to Eastern Washington on Monday. Fine for break-in. I figure that book says 3/4 of top speed ok (97 MPH) and they have to break-in these bad boys on the Autobahn in Germany with an even higher, non-governed top speed, so I am pretty safe with how I have treated this vehicle. At times I utilized the Tiptronic to vary engine RPMs and they ranged from 1800 to 3800 on the 3+ hour drive home. I stopped at almost every rest stop just for more variance and let it cool down at idle for 2-3 minutes each time. I have never noticed vibration via the steering wheel (beyond a little expected and desired gurgle vibration, you know like this engine has power and wants to FLY!!!) No wind noise and that one sound I reported before has gone.<p>Anyway I love this beast, I am thinking of names: Amazing GRACE, Svetlana, Sylvia (hey it's a Silver car), oh well...<p>Improvements planned: lights (not sure how or when), maybe K & N or RAM (recommendations?), Winter tires (icy conditions and a few small snowfalls each year)--Graspics, Arctic Alpins, suggestions? Dale, I know you are favouring Alpins right now. Want some performance dry too, will I regret Alpins (at top of list)?, Winter mats...<p>First aid kit is cool, haven't delved into it, but saw a space blanket, just need a pocket mask, too and OTC Meds.<p><br>Anyway, I am plum tuckered out and ready to hit the sack for dreamland. If I missed anything, let me know. If you have positive comments, post away, if you have questions, post away, if you have stupid, "let's see if I can spoil his fun with his new car" comments, keep them canned in your butt, they won't do anything for me anyway as I am WAY too in love with this car. <p>hugs and kisses,<p>Kirk<p>
Old 11-18-1998, 11:44 PM
Kirk

Default BTW

I did not get the Audi Coffee Table book, but did get the video, etc... Should I make an issue of this, is it worth it? My dealer was GREAT, Audi of Van Nuys. Mark White is the General Sales Manager and he handled everything, kept me informed with faxes, etc... and prepped car nicely. I am sure it was just an oversight, ALSO, I did not get the "foam" packing material over the spare tire in the trunk. Will the trunk mat "sink" without this? I plan on a full size spare at some point. Can I get this foam somewhere?<p>Kirk
Old 11-19-1998, 12:28 AM
ChuckH

Default Quite a report there, Kirk! :-) (horribly long!)

Good to hear your glowing report. I agree on the headlights. Those on my 90Q are also weak up close. Like you said, they light up things far away, but not right in front of you. Did you try turning on the fogs? They help quite a bit with lighting up the road directly in front of you, while maintaining the distance vision. <p>Bradley's Detail was highly recommended to me by a body shop. I took my 90Q in for a quote to repaint, and they recommended I try Bradley's Detail first. I still have not been there, but if they can make the Bamboo paint on my 90Q look like a new paint job, I'll be their best customer! :-) <p>Was that Black S4 you saw on I-90 modified? There is a black '94? S4 that runs around on the Sammamish Plateau. It's an incredible looking car, that is lowered and has aftermarket wheels on it. Since the guy driving is usually traveling at very high speeds, I have not figured out what kind of wheels. One time he took the corner that goes to my house at what appeared to be about 40 MPH, and that car stayed totally flat through the corner. Very impressive! Anyway, there is also a Pearlescent S4 on the Plateau, a Burgundy UrQuattro, a couple 200TQ's, several 90 quattro's like mine, quite a few A4's, and a scattering of older models. All in all, this area seems to be littered with Audi's.<p>Snoqualmie Pass is tempting, especially heading Eastbound approaching the Summit. Watch out though! I was going up there (the steep part) and decided to test the 5th gear acceleration in my 90Q. Well, I started at about 65 MPH (I think it's a 60 zone approaching the summit), and there was a car catching up to me. I put the pedal all the way down. Pretty soon, I noticed I was at about 85 MPH and decided to slow a little, even though this car was still behind me. I couldn't figure out why he didn't just go by me. Duh! As I slowed, I realized the car foolowing me was a State Trooper, and the dreaded lights came on. He was following me far enough behind so that I couldn't tell it was a Crown Vic. It was about 1:00 AM, and I was the only car on the road practically, so I stood out. Anyway, this was the only time I got pulled over for speeding and didn't get a ticket. Turned out this guy was on his way home. He mentioned how it seemed like I was trying to pull away from him, but he didn't want to deal with the paper work, and told me to slow down and have a good night! I couldn't believe it! I was paced at 85 and didn't get a ticket! Of course a couple months later I was caught doing 63 up the hill to my house. It's a 35 zone, and it was raining. Oops! I didn't get out of that one!:-( Again, it was 1:00 in the morning, and the trooper was pulled off the side of the road about 1/4 mile from the corner at the bottom of the hill. Since I readlined in first and second, and was working on third gear, I'm sure he heard me before he saw me! The shrill of the 5 cylinder combined with the Scorpion exhaust are hard to miss when pushed to 6000 RPM.<p>Well, I better get to bed now too! How can you sleep with that new A4 parked at home? Later!<p>Charles<br>
Old 11-19-1998, 03:50 AM
Roy M

Default Congrats on your new A4.

Good color combo. I agree with you 100%. My 2.8 is 10 months old and it is all that you say and more. Enjoy yours. I wish I had your sport seats and trip computer. The Tip is extremely smooth as you say. I just turned over 10,000 miles and it only gets better. <br>Roy M 98.5 2.8q Tip (Silver/Opal)
Old 11-19-1998, 03:56 AM
Brian

Default Coffee table book isn't worth making issue of...

that is, unless you're really interested in the history of audi.<p>heck, you can have mine :-)<p>did you get a shirt? -- cuz i definitely wear my audi polo alot (tho people think i either work for audi or that i'm just a geek)<p><p>
Old 11-19-1998, 05:45 AM
Josh

I have three books - just call Audi Customer Relations (800-822-AUDI) and they'll send one along
Old 11-19-1998, 07:59 AM
Aaron J

Default ME TOO! (kinda long)

Cool! I bought my Audi the same day, except I bought it at University VW/Audi/Subaru. Unfortunately I waited until after the Husky a** kicking before I picked mine up.<p>I share your sentiments about the wet traction. It was beautiful driving around the UW with all of those wet leaves and not having to hold back.<p>Mine is a 99 1.8T Quattro in Volcano black. I saw it and was in love. I can't wait to take it over the mountains. I haven't really gotten to see it fly yet.<br>Later,<br>AaronJ <p>
Old 11-19-1998, 09:55 AM
Andrei D

Rookie! I'm a veteran with almost 2 days more experience
Old 11-19-1998, 10:36 AM
Fergus Hammond

Default Hey Aaron -

I have a friend at work who is looking at getting a 1.8T q in the next month or so. Price is a big deal for her; would you mind telling me what options you ordered and what you paid total? It'd be a help to her when she goes to buy her car. <p>BTW, how do you like the Volcano black? <p>fergus
Old 11-19-1998, 12:50 PM
Aaron J

Default Re: Hey Aaron -

I paid about 28,850 which was a little under MSRP ($29,970) for a Volcano 1.8T Quattro with Sunroof, Weather Package (Heated seats and stuff), Sports Package, and Bose Audio.<p>I think if you apply yourself you may be able to do a little (a lot??) better, especially if you are taking one off the lot. They stole mine from Barrier on the Eastside.<p>I love the Volcano Black though, it's definately a different color without having to get too outrageous.<p>If I can answer any more questions let me know. You can use my e-mail too.<p>AaronJ

Quick Reply: 5 Days, 547 miles, (1 1/2 yr in making) New Owner Report