A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

5K and I have the dreaded C pillar dents!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-1999, 03:34 PM
healy

Default 5K and I have the dreaded C pillar dents!!!

one on each side, approximately one quarter up the pillar. Have known about the possibility from reading previous posts and have been careful washing and waxing. How can this happen so easily? I live in an area where there are no dent wizards but am prepared to travel I95 (sounds better already) to find a good shop. Can anyone from northern New England suggest one, how about Bangor? I live in New Brunswick. Is this dent problem common and worth taking to the Audi dealer? Comments appreciated.

healy
99.5 2.8QMS Hibiscus (with three dents now)
Old 08-24-1999, 04:31 PM
mike c

don't you mean "A"? n/t
Old 08-24-1999, 04:45 PM
DaveL

How do you get dents in the C pillar? Never heard of that before!
Old 08-24-1999, 04:47 PM
dumb response

Default I'm guessing if he said "C" pillar, that's what he meant.

That would be the third pillar from the front that holds the roof on the car in a sedan. On the A4, that's the one with all of the real estate of sheet metal, prone to dings.
Old 08-24-1999, 05:19 PM
healy

Default Re: How do you get dents in the C pillar? Never heard of that before!

There is something about it in the archives but they don't seem to work at the moment. I don't know for sure what caused it but it is possible that leaning over to clean the wheel arches I used the pillar as support with my other hand and pushed in the panel, sounds strange I know but the dents are equal size and in the same place on each side. The other possibility is that when waxing I pushed it in from working on it too hard. The post in the archives mentioned this as a possible reason as well a few months ago. I don't know if it will photograph well enough, I might try that tomorrow and post it if it shows.

healy
99.5 2.8QMS
Old 08-24-1999, 05:56 PM
DaveL

Default Hmmm, interesting...well

I used Dent Wizard successfully at the last NE Performance Event back in June. They removed dents from the door panel by going in though the window opening. I'm not sure what they can do for a dent in the C pillar. Doesn't seem to be an easy way to get behind it.
Old 08-24-1999, 07:26 PM
JJ-WI

Default Same thing happened to me...

...When I went to the dealership to pick up my 2.8 the salesman pointed out that he'd noticed a dent in the passenger's side C-pillar - he was amazed because nobody had noticed it before and the car had been on the lot for a couple months. They said they'd bring in a paintless dent removal guy they use (similar to Dent Wizard, I'd imagine) to fix it, and so they did. After the last go-round on this topic, I figured that the dent must have occurred when the dealership detailed it prior to my picking it up. I've been *very* careful when washing or waxing it, and haven't had any problems since. At least you can find comfort in the fact that paintless should work to remove the dents.

John 99.5 2.8QMS
Old 08-25-1999, 07:24 AM
Shabbis

Default I got a dent on the panel BELOW the C pillar. The area next to the trunk.

Which can be easily accessible by Dent Wizard, thank god. But I don't get why the metal is so weak. Even my old Miata had stronger sheet metal. Did Audi go "thin" to save weight? I always hear that excuse when car companies use thin sheet metal.

To me, small dents are so annoying. I'd rather have the car totaled than live with small rock chips, door dings, etc... I guess I am just picky about the appearance of my cars.
Old 08-25-1999, 08:06 AM
DaveN

Up from inside the trunk over the wheel arch.
Old 08-25-1999, 08:16 AM
Kennon

Default Re: 5K and I have the dreaded C pillar dents!!! (Definitive Answer)

I was going to post this earlier, but have been really busy. This gives me a good excuse.

The C-pillar dents are a manufacturing defect with the '99.5 A4. I'm not sure if they've had similar problems with earlier models. My dents were diagnosed by the AoA Regional Service Rep. The dealer told me it had something to do with excess glue being applied to the inside of the C-pillars. They removed the interior trim, photographed the areas of concern (to be sent to Germany), and fixed the problem. No more dents! The only downside is that the trim pieces are a PITA to reinstall and don't look factory-spec (I, being a perfectionist with my car, notice these things). I'm the only person who will ever notice, and it's certainly better than two exterior dents.