A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

6 x 9 seakers - anyone installed in A4 b5??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From this post -

haste

Old 01-29-2009, 07:10 AM

Default Re: So many 'BIG NUMBER' specs thrown around.... go for quality over quantity...

LOL

NAH - i don't want the "thump" factor or i would buy some subs

I have the amp so i decided to use it. I needed new speakers and went and bought some.

I like clarity more than thump and major volume but when i am listening to something descent i.e. Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn etc I like it higher than normal with some bass response rather than highs all the way through.

Like i said, a buddy does sound comps and he is into the BIG numbers but only for winning...
Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 AM

Default Re: KRACO 6x9s loose on my Camaro's parcel shelf that flew into the back of my head.

How old am i? Ok i listen to Clapton, Stevie, etc etc... I am 39. I enjoy good music and when i am on the road I enjoy listening to that sort of music over the sound of hooting and it helps me to relax of 10 - 12 hours in the office.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:17 AM

Default Re: you could fit if you dremel the speaker holes to 6x9

SO i guess the best bet is to cut the metal shelf to fit them then they would also be hidden.

I don't want to make the original holes bigger as i don't want to remove the originals.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default We're all into good tunes, but there are many better options than 6 x 9s...

A small sub, and good component speakers in the front doors (no real need for rear speakers in a high end system but for fill.).

You want all of your best speakers in the front stage.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing. in my '89 Accord. I think I still have them.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

return them and get the right size.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 AM

Default Re: We're all into good tunes, but there are many better options than 6 x 9s...

Ok i hear what everyone is saying. And thanks.

Regardless of what year people had "these" speakers ICE or 6x9s in golfs, mazdas etc - I got them cheap - they were overstocked from Xmas.

The fact is i don't have a barrow full of money and I live in a country that will milk anyone out of their hard earned money like no one's business.

Now you may say, yeah but a good set will set you back $100. In my money that is around R1100. See the difference.

If i had the money i would have a NEW A4/RS4 with a good sound system that i can play DVDs for the little one and travel with the car but I only use this car for my personal use and work and back. Weekends or going out family wise is in the wife's car (mine too - but irrelevant).

So, yes, would have been a great idea to get high range speakers for the front doors and good amp and sub. I would also have loved a top notch Alpine but i just cannot afford it - my house and family take priority and what i have goes there. I had a few extra bucks so i decided to get some speakers.

Yes, i get what everyone is saying but I got these speakers for the equivalent of $21. Also, what you can get in the US for $50, as an example, is a hell of a lot better that the cr@p we get in South Africa for R50. How does 2 loaves of bread, a 2Lt coke R5 change sound?

So i may not have appeased the Gods with my purchase but again i could not really afford anything better.

Thanks for all the advice and assistance. Much appreciated.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default rear speakers should be for fill ONLY! Do not put tweaters in your rear shelf

if you absolutely must run the 6x9s to increase bass, do so. If the amp has a LPF, set it at 160hz and throw some baffles around the 6x9s. That way it won't throw off the harmonics of the existing system, which has sufficient mid-range and highs if you alleviate the system of its bass responsibilities.

If you put them in the rear deck, you'll get a nice 3dB gain off the rear windshield too.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:12 AM

Default Re: rear speakers should be for fill ONLY! Do not put tweaters in your rear shelf

Thanks TwentyValve!

Yeah i wasn't really planning on the tweeters but threw them in to see if someone had a good idea lol

Yeah, cash wise and not doing a bass overkill the 6x9s are more to give the bass and the existing system more the mid and high range.

Yeah the amp has LPF and HPF so i will use your advice. However, would it be a good idea then just to mount them directly under the metal rear shelf - more toward the center in terms of to the side of the original rears respectively? OR would there be a better way to mount them?

Quick Reply: 6 x 9 seakers - anyone installed in A4 b5??