A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

89 octane. Will it just hurt performance or the engine as well?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2000, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

89 octane. Will it just hurt performance or the engine as well?
Old 04-18-2000, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: 89 octane. Will it just hurt performance or the engine as well?

Never put "regular" (below about 90) into a car with a dedicated turbo-charger and complex machinery (such as the 1.8T). It may do both, one or none, I would not try it though, even if you do same a few cents.
Old 04-18-2000, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Performance as well as....

..gas milage will be affected if you use a lower octane fuel! You can use as low as 87 octane without causing any problems with the motor(I don't recommend that). However, the lower your octane the worse your performance and gas milage!

Modern cars have knock sensors that retard the timing of the engine to allow you to use a lower octane or if you get a bad batch of gas. If you constantly use lower octane gasoline you will wear out your knock sensor faster and then damage to the engine will occur!!

I would only use lower than the recommended octane if you can't find the proper octane for your car. In the US and Canada it shouldn't be a problem finding proper octane!!!
---
Andrew
Old 04-18-2000, 07:42 AM

Default Why would the knock sensor wear out faster?

It really is just a microphone.
Old 04-18-2000, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 89 octane. Will it just hurt performance or the engine as well?

knock sensors and computerized ignition that can retard timing only have a limited
range that they can retard. yes, the car is advertised as being capable of running
on 87, but think about what's happening in the engine: the spark fires at a later
point in the combustion cycle, which mean that you have less complete combustion.
the engine runs rougher, there is more waste heat generated (will tax your
cooling system if you're hauling a heavy load), and you will generate more
carbon deposits. if your engine management system runs out of retard it
will start pinging. of course modern cars like the a4 have enough built in tolerance
to handle cheapskate owners but don't kid yourself into thinking that you are being
kind to it.
Old 04-18-2000, 09:57 AM

Default Use 87 octane

If you have a stock 1.8T or 2.8, I doubt that using 87 octane will affect your performance even one micron. I The bottom line is try it, if there is no difference in performance you will have nothing to loose.

I don't have my audi yet, but I have a '91 eclipse 2.0 turbo, a very quick car. The owners manual specifies 91 octane. I have been using 87 octane since I bought the car, and there is absolutely no loss of performance or gas milege. The engine has 105,000 trouble free miles.

Many people seem to think that a higher octane gas is a "better" gas. It is not! It is simply formulated to prevent knocking in certain engines. Usually older engines or very high performace modified engines. If your car doesn't knock or loose perfomance then you have absolutely nothing to gain by using higher octane.
Old 04-18-2000, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm also wondering why?
Old 04-18-2000, 05:48 PM
cen
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It depends on how you drive.

It seems that most arguments against lower octane fuel focus on transient conditions.
Old 04-18-2000, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Because it's activated......

When current flows through to retard the timing it generates heat....which generates resistance...which generates more amps....which makes the knock sensor work harder!!! Harder working shorter life.....I don't know how much shorter the life but shorter nonetheless!!!
---
Andrew
Old 04-18-2000, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I KNOW higher...

..octane is better on a turbo. The richer the exhaust the smotter the turbo!!! You just wasted 105,000 miles not utilizing your car to it's potential.

But at least you won't know...you never put good gas in. Good thinking.....what you don't know can't hurt you!!!
---
Andrew

Quick Reply: 89 octane. Will it just hurt performance or the engine as well?