A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

96 A4 climate control request

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 A4 climate control request

I was hoping someone could run a quick climate control check on their a4.I need to know what value you get on channel 3 in the climate control self diagnostics, which is the interior temp sensor G56 digital value.
Mine is showing a 0.
My car is a 96 a4.
I scanned it several times with vag com and got nothing,however the last time I got:
00604 flap G113 pot. limit surpassed
00797 sunlight sensor
I'm trying to track down why the ac doesn't blow cold.I have been through the posts searching.The ac is charged up the pipe going to the evap sweats and is cold.I get tons of heat.
I picked up another(used) sunlight and interior sensor and they all match in resistance values.I guesss it's possible to have them fail to the same values.
I have checked the wiring to the sensors and back,everything looks ok.
I have watched the flap motors move but I'm not sure if they're going all the way.
I just don't want to pull the temp flap actuator, if its the climate head or one of the sensors in the interior temp circuit.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you charge the A/C system or did a shop with real A/C service equipment charge it?

Clear the codes and do a basic setting to block 004. When it's done, all four blocks will read 0.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nate (ETKA+Scumbag)
Did you charge the A/C system or did a shop with real A/C service equipment charge it?

Clear the codes and do a basic setting to block 004. When it's done, all four blocks will read 0.
I replaced the compressor,flushed everything,new dryer,vacuumed,etc.I have all the equipment amd have down quite a few ac jobs.The system pulled to 40 degrees at first,now with the same pressures,pretty much nothing and the compressor runs fine.
I did the basic settings last night and all four went to zero.After I did the basic settings is when the two codes showed up.They seems to appear and disappear at will.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am not up on the channel values. My suggestion if you get heat is to watch the movement range of the heat flap motor. Then switch to AC and watch the AC flap motor and see if it moves the same amount as you vary the temp on the CC.Then watch the flap motor that moves airflow from heat to cold (V68).The CC diag codes usually will say if they are not moving properly.The flap motors are prone to wearing out.There are some great no cost rebuild tutorials on line.
This description is by memory. I did this work on mine two years ago and still works great.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll second the suspicion on the temp control flap solenoid. I have successfully repaired two of these from '96 cars. Be sure to thoroughly clean out the potentiometer inside the solenoid, not just the motor: disconnect the pot from the base (careful with the little plastic tabs) and use electrical contact cleaner, twirl the pot back and forth several times, do it again, repeat again, good to go.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dorsal900
I'll second the suspicion on the temp control flap solenoid. I have successfully repaired two of these from '96 cars. Be sure to thoroughly clean out the potentiometer inside the solenoid, not just the motor: disconnect the pot from the base (careful with the little plastic tabs) and use electrical contact cleaner, twirl the pot back and forth several times, do it again, repeat again, good to go.
Thanks for the tip.
I will give it a try and report back.I won't be able to get to it until next week.
I would still like someone to tell me what value they get on channel 3(interior temp sensor/sun sensor circuit) of the climate control diagnostics.
Once again,my car is a 96 a4