A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

96 a4q delta stereo in "safe" mode - i have the code, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2000, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 a4q delta stereo in "safe" mode - i have the code, what next?

please help - i have a '96 a4 with the delta stereo - my battery crapped out yesterday and i got it replaced, but unfortunately, my stereo is now stuck in "safe" mode and to boot, i can't find the stereo manual!! i have the 4-digit reactivation code from the dealer (which they gave me one time after they screwed something up), so if someone could tell me what the magic combination is to get this code input, i would be very grateful. i've scanned the faq's, but either can't find the relevant one, or it's information included in the manual that i can't find....

anti-theft is nice, but this is too aggressive for my taste...

thanks;
-k
Old 11-23-2000, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here are the instructions.....

1) Turn on radio - the word "SAFE" appears in the display.

2) Press the FM 1/2 and DX buttons <b>simultaneously</b> and hold them down until "1000" lights up in the display. <b>Release buttons.</b> Do not, under any circumstances, continue holding them down or press them once again. This would cause the radio to consider the number "1000" to be the input code number.

3) Use stations buttons 1 - 4 to enter the code number on your Radio Card. Use button 1 to enter the first digit of the code number, button 2 to enter the second digit, and so on. Station buttons 5 and 6 cannot be used.

4) Once the code is shown in the display, press the FM 1/2 and DX buttons again simultaneously and gold them down until the word "SAFE" appears in the display. Release buttons. Soon afterwards, a frequency will be displayed.

<b>The radio can now be used again.</b>

<b>Incorrect code number</b>
If an incorrect code number is entered inadvertently when cancelling the electronic lock, the word "SAFE" appears in the display - first flashing and then continuously.

You can now repeat the entire canceling procedure <b>once more.</b> The number of attempts will be shown in the display.

If an incorrect number is entered once again, your radio will be locked up for approximately one hour. The radio will not play. Leave the radio switched on. After an hour, the display with the number of attempts goes out and you can cancel the electronic lock-up as described above.

<b>The cycle - two attempts, one hour lock-up - still applies</b>
Old 11-27-2000, 01:09 PM

Default sweeeeet....

you are a god for helping me out - thanks...