A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

96 Audi 4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ICU

It was indeed the ignition control unit.
Car started like a champion. Cost for the ICU was only $46. If anyone wants to know where, let me know. I am not sure if I can post here.
As luck would have it, could hear it right away, the alternator sounds shot. Put the meter on the battery with the car running and got only battery voltage.
Least of my worries anyway.
Ran a scan and one code came up:
P1613 Transmission Control Module Short to B+
Car ran, in one gear it seemed, forward but no reverse. Think I will focus on this and worry about the alternator another day.
Dan fine automobile. Wish I could get it on the road for my daughter.
Thanks for all the help in the past folks. Keep you posted.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by E96A4Q
It was indeed the ignition control unit.
Car started like a champion. Cost for the ICU was only $46. If anyone wants to know where, let me know. I am not sure if I can post here.
As luck would have it, could hear it right away, the alternator sounds shot. Put the meter on the battery with the car running and got only battery voltage.
Least of my worries anyway.
Ran a scan and one code came up:
P1613 Transmission Control Module Short to B+
Car ran, in one gear it seemed, forward but no reverse. Think I will focus on this and worry about the alternator another day.
Dan fine automobile. Wish I could get it on the road for my daughter.
Thanks for all the help in the past folks. Keep you posted.
All sorts of spurious codes seem to show up when the voltage is low, so I might fix that first and then clear the codes.

Nate did a writeup on replacing the TCU, maybe just needs a cleanup.

At least it runs, kudos for hanging in there.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

I agree. Manage your power issues before you start attacking other codes. Bad voltage can cause many many issues.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 03-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Total BS!

The Delta radio in a 96 US model cannot disable the entire car if the radio code is not set.

If that were the case people would not be able to put aftermarket stereos in their cars.

They would all be sitting in their driveways listening but not going anywhere!

When the battery died on my 96 I had to DRIVE to the dealer to get them to retrieve the code as the one supplied with my stereo manual was incorrect.

I have a 96 with a delta. It has never asked me for a radio code when the power has been disconnected. Or when the ECU has been taken out and put back in. I do have the original radio card with the number on it though.

What I was saying before was if radio tampering set off the car's anti theft system then the car would not start. Not because of the radio but because of the car's anti theft shut down.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thecharlum
What I was saying before was if radio tampering set off the car's anti theft system then the car would not start. Not because of the radio but because of the car's anti theft shut down.

Sorry you are wrong, possibly on the later CAN-bus cars but not on a B5. The code is there to deter thieves from stealing the radio not the car.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default What I have learned so far

German engineers will indeed spend their time in Hell fixing their own designs.
The rebuilt alternator (at less than 125,000 miles) was indeed faulty. I now have 14.23 volts to the battery. WOHOO.
The funny noise may be the water pump, not the alternator; just changed that. Want any tips on changing one, dang! Buy some 8MM rod.
Car started and idles great. I noticed a little puff (of coolant?) out of the corner of the radiator; not coincidentaly the same side that has a broken headlight assembly. I don't think putting the Stop Leak is a good idea, but...

Anyway, have yet to put the nose back on the car, just the radiator support.

Before I test drive it, I have a question.
Is the Transmission Control Module and the ABS system integrated?

Noticed that the car will not even roll with the engine running. Turn it off it runs fine.

Back to the TCU.

Can I pull a fuse to disable the ABS/TCM connection for now.
My daughter is not made of $$.

As always, thanks,
PS: The Kudos for hanging in there were much appreciated. I am starting to lust for the darned car. Have alot of my soul, and knuckles, invested. LOL

This Fine, but frustrating, auto is so close to being on the road.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

The ABS module is independent from the TCU. While I'm not 100% certain, I'm pretty sure you cannot pull a fuse for the TCM and have the car move still.

Quick question, are you unable to shift it into gear or is it running sloppy once in gear?
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@ECStuning
I'm pretty sure you cannot pull a fuse for the TCM and have the car move still.
I don't know for sure either, but I think the car will move. It is basically limp mode.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Transmission Control Module TCM

Update folks.
I managed to pull the TCM today, pain in the butt getting the passenger side carpet up.
The whole compartment was full of water, including the plastic housing for the TCM.
Pulled the unit out and, I would have let it dry up and tried it, but there is a tab broken.
So, no matter what, I have to figure out how to fix the broken tab ... OR ... Buy a New (NOT!!) or Used TCM.

So far, not much luck in finding one.

The best price so far is $215 (with shipping).

Anyone care to part with one?

My daughter and I will be forever greatful.

As always, thanks for the past posts.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default TCM

The Traction control is somehow connected to the TCM; I think.
Anyway, as luck would have it, I do not have the diagram for the fuse box relay anyway. After reading every schematic I could find, I think it is number 42. It was a 40 Amp fuse. Holy smokes. No difference.

In regards to the other questions/comments. The car will move forward, but you really have to give it alot of gas to go; there is no reverse gear. If you try to push it with the engine running, it is not moving. Turn it off and you can manually move it.

Quick Reply: 96 Audi 4 Quattro