A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

97A41.8TQ Throttle cable loose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-1999, 06:12 PM
CT

Default 97A41.8TQ Throttle cable loose?

After spending a saturday morning unsucessfully trying to diagnose the AC problem on my second car (90 Corrado), I decided to look at my 35K mi A4's engine. I opened the hood and poked around and saw that the throttle cable (from the accelarator to the throttle body) is loose. Even after I re-adjusted the thing to the tightest possible setting, I can still pull the cable and see that there is a "play". I can even feel this when I press the accelerator pedal, it feels there is a slack of an inch or so. I thought this was wrong (since all my other cars had this cable very tight), and when the car was in service today, they told me that it is within design conditions. Not believing this (btw, I did not have very good experience with Park Place Audi in Dallas!), I asked to see another car and to my surprise the cable was also loose. Can you check yours and let me know if this is the case? If so, why would this be desired, wouldn't a tighter cable mean quicker throttle response?

CT

ps. I am also looking for a (another!) sports car. While in the shop, I checked out the TT. Interior is great, body style so so (IMO). For a sports car, I love the looks of SLK but unfortunately, it is a Mercedes...
Old 07-31-1999, 06:58 AM
donp

Default from the service manual

- Remove clip on the cable near the throttle body
- Press the gas pedal down to wide open throttle and hold (need 2 people)
- Pull sleeve on accelerator pedal cable off curved washer on throttle body until throttle body has opened completely. (for auto/tip trans be sure the kickdown switch has clicked) Hold tight in this postion.
- Install securing clip for accelerator pedal cable sleeve (I assume this to mean install the clip in the notch nearest to the surface the clip would rest against)

Some slack is normal to prevent binding.