A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

98.5 Quattro won't go into gear after heavy rain and puddle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98.5 Quattro won't go into gear after heavy rain and puddle.

Hi all, I wrote a few weeks ago, but have some more info on the subject. I have researched the archives with some good advice, but want to try again. I have a 98.5 Quattro manual. We had heavy rains in Los Angeles. I was in Van Nuys by the Budweiser plant at the time. I went through a street filled with 6" or so of water for about 200 feet maybe. My car is lowered. I did not notice any problems going through as I kept light pressure on the gas to just take it slow.

After getting through the water I came to a stop sign. At this point, I did what we all do, push in the clutch pedal. Everything seemed fine until I went to take off again. It jerked into gear, like an either ON or OFF situation. I came to the freeway onramp and pushed the clutch in. Then releasing it in 1st. It chattered hard and did so on every gear as I went up the onramp. I made it home that night thankfully and figured it was just the water on the clutch. I had noticed on previous dry days that my clutch may have been slipping a bit, but it did not seem relevant to this rain issue. It is possible that the clutch was slipping as I was going through the puddle, but here is the kicker.

I only drive the car once or twice a week. A week later I go to drive the car. With the engine off it goes into gear with the clutch pedal depressed or not. Either way it goes into gear. With the engine running, the shifter will not go into gear at ALL, none, zero, zilch. I have not forced it but it may if I push hard enough.

Therefore, I put the car in reverse with the engine off, and clutch in, and then start it. The car jerks back and I am in a small area so I shut it off. So, I think that the clutch will at least engage and disengage, but not sure.

The brake fluid is full and I see no leaks and I assume that water will not cause a leak. I have not checked if the transmission fluid is contaminated, but does not seem likely. I have never read a thread about water getting into the transmission fluid, but who knows.

As I push in the clutch pedal, there is squeaking from what sounds like the master or slave cylinder or both, but some say it might be the throwout bearing. I dunno.

I now put the car up on jacks, (fun in itself), and looked underneath etc. to see if there are any obvious clues, however, I nobody was around to press the clutch pedal in. I found no obvious issues or leaks. I looked around the slave cylinder, but did not feel any fluid around it.

I proceeded to start the car, with the clutch in and having had put it in first gear already. The right rear tire began to turn I believe, as that is what it sounded like, but the rear left tire was not turning as I could see that for sure. I did not try anything further, as I realized that if I can start the car with the clutch pedal in, and in first gear, and the tires are moving, then something is wrong. Duh.

Maybe someone can explain what may be happening, and as to how it is possible. How is it that once started, it will not go into gear? It seems as though the clutch pedal has no effect on the engagement or disengagement of the clutch. If this is the case, then is the clutch Stuck engaged? Is it possible that if the clutch is stuck that it is not allowing the gear to be selected, which can be selected while the car is off? Would this then mean that it is the master and/or slave cylinder or that they need to be bled/replaced? Is it internal?

These questions and more fill my head.

Ahh yes, I know so much info and questions. I know you need the deatil to diagnose and give proper advice.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2005, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default This sounds like a problem with the hydraulics...

Probably the slave cylinder or even the master cylinder (attached to the brake pedal). I think you gave the necessary info when you stated the right wheel turned when the front was jacked up. Since the front differential is an open diff, the right wheel will spin and the left will not. However neither should turn if the clutch pedal is depressed.

Replace the slave cylinder and bleed the line and see if that fixes it. Cheap and relatively easy to do. A search should turn up a tech write-up.

Good Luck
Old 03-24-2005, 02:53 PM

Thanks. I will give it a go.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:00 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Sounds to me like your clutch is not engaging/disengaging properly.

Something is very likely stuck inside the transmission.

Your experience with the slipping clutch tells me that water did get into the bell housing, and lubricated the clutch surface. My guess is that water sat inside the bell housing when you parked the car. With no way to get out, it's a matter of time before parts start rusting.

At this point, I think you're looking at a clutch job. Drop tranny, take a look at the clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, and throwout bearing. My guess is water will spill out when you loosen the bolts on the tranny housing, and when you get everything apart, you'll probably find the clutch rusted to the flywheel or something other rusted bits. Cleaning out the water and rust, replacing the rusted bits, and putting it all back together will probably end your misery.

Rough Price...8 hours of labor, $500 for the clutch and pressure plate, $700 for a flywheel if it's no longer usable, and $100 in misc parts and stuff.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default the disc is stuck to the flywheel due to water in there

no way to release it without risking the timing belt
so you better start getting the transmission out and get a new clutch in there
Old 03-24-2005, 03:21 PM

Thanks, what about the drain holes on the bottom of the bell housing?
Old 03-24-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Can you expand upon that?

Thank you,. You work on Audi's I see. Have you seen this before? So everytime I go through a puddle I am in for a new clutch? Dang
Old 03-24-2005, 03:40 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Plugged?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

hydro lock?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default It sounds like your clutch is not dis-engaging when you press the pedal. possibly a bad hydraulic

part (slave/master cylinder) I would not think it's the clutch frozen to the flywheel.

But i suppose it is possible (not likely though)

hope this helps!
-richard

Quick Reply: 98.5 Quattro won't go into gear after heavy rain and puddle.