A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

99 1.8T Quattro Oil heats up more suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is very low. 150 is usually considered a mediocre engine while 190 is typically about a new engine from the factory. I'd say for a used motor 150+ is alright. As an example, I'm at 185 give or take a few PSI on all 4 cylinders.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default New motor

What is the best way to freshin the motor up on this thing? Core and head or just redo the head gasket?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Check your head gasket first. If it is on all 4 cylinders at 120 you either have a bad head gasket or extremely worn cylinder and ring combination. Start with the head gasket and, if you need to, it might end up needing rings.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default HG or Rings

Is there a quick way to determine once its apart if the rings are bad so that I don't have to take it apart more than once?

Originally Posted by Chris@ECStuning
Check your head gasket first. If it is on all 4 cylinders at 120 you either have a bad head gasket or extremely worn cylinder and ring combination. Start with the head gasket and, if you need to, it might end up needing rings.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Yes, do a leak down test. Build up pressure in the cylinders and see how long it takes to leak out.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well honestly I don't think either one of those items is good. I am going to look into a good used motor for the thing and I guess try to do the swap myself. I guess it would be a good time to also upgrade the turbo to a K04 and go ahead and rework the chip too. DAMMIT!! Daunting task for a DIY, luckily I have some time to plug away at this issue coming up but sadly I have to be careful on how much money I spend. Any good motor swap resources for the DIY guy?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Location of PCV Valve

I have the new PCV Valve, where is the location?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Leak Down Test

Originally Posted by Chris@ECStuning
Yes, do a leak down test. Build up pressure in the cylinders and see how long it takes to leak out.
The pressure went down almost immediately, down to almost nothing in about 2 seconds.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Probably a ring issue if you can't hold any power. Sounds like you may have some severe blow-by going on. Odd one here, pull your dipstick smell your oil, does it smell like gasoline and oil? If so I'd vote needs new rings. With that kind of pressure loss and without coolant mixing with oil it is likely not your head gasket. You won't know 100% until you physically look at it, but if I had to bet - rings.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Found a massive vacum leak

Found a massive vacum leak and plugged it. I can't seem to find the part number or part for that matter for the 90Degree vacum elbow that goes from the end of the intake(pointing at the firewall) to the pipes... I have a hose in there now and it may have solved most of my issues, brakes work tons better, turbo spools much better, way more power... Now I have a seperate issue, the oil temp is not as hot as it was but still a bit warm so I have a new oil cooler, but in the middle of tearing it apart I find this nut holding it in (068-115-723), I can't find the size of this nut anywhere and when I try to grip it with a pliers it just plain hurts... Can anyone tell me the size of this nut so I can get the right deep well socket? Thanks,

Quick Reply: 99 1.8T Quattro Oil heats up more suddenly