A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

99.5 1.8T Auto vs. 323i Auto????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-1999, 04:25 PM
Hweitz77

Default 99.5 1.8T Auto vs. 323i Auto????

Ca any one compare these two vehicles and give me some pros and cons on each...thank you very much!!
Old 03-20-1999, 04:57 PM
Tom

Default Re: 99.5 1.8T Auto vs. 323i Auto????

In my opinion, if you can afford the 323 then you should be strongly considering the 2.8 - they're closing in price, comparably equiped.<p>Other than that I think the 1.8T is a better value than the 323, but with the automatic the 1.8T will seem slow.<p>Tom<br>1.8T
Old 03-20-1999, 06:26 PM
HDE

Default Consumer Reports recently did a comparo. They liked the 323i best.

~
Old 03-20-1999, 07:16 PM
BDW

Default Re: 99.5 1.8T Auto vs. 323i Auto????

<br>Drove them both (but '99 1.8T). Bottom line, if you want to chip a 1.8T Tiptronic it is extremely competitive with the 323i auto and a better value. The 323i auto is not fast by any means, but the 1.8T Tip is slower. Both of these cars are great with a 5-speed! Neither is very sporty, in my opinion, with an automatic. But a chip would really help the 1.8T level the 0-60 playing field. The BMW has better leg room in the back if that's an issue. Also makes prettier engine music. I think the A4 rides better while handling just as well (with sport packs), and quattro is a big plus if you live where it snows. (I decided I couldn't live with a rear-drive car even with traction control since I live in the Midwest, but some people toss snow tires on BMWs and do just fine). The 323i probably has a bit more direct steering feel, but the Audi's is good, too.<p>They are both good cars with automatics, super cars with sticks. Your best bet is to drive them both back to back, as close together as possible, and buy the one you like best.<p>BDW '99 1.8Tqms
Old 03-20-1999, 09:01 PM
Getting tired of hweitz77!

Default Why do you keep posting the same question every few days????

Why don't you contribute something yourself sometime rather than always asking the same asinine question???<br>Go buy your car already.
Old 03-21-1999, 12:27 AM
ChuckH

Although this question has come up before, I don't recall this particular person asking. Be nice!
Old 03-21-1999, 12:33 AM
ChuckH

Default 1.8T automatic without enhancements is a dog. If you don't...

...want to chip, you're not going with quattro, or you wnat power, go with the BMW. The BMW I6 is one of the finest engines on the planet. It's smooth and powerful, and will work much better with an automatic transmission. As far as the transmission itself goes, I think BMW is using the same transmission now, but it may be programmed differently. Want quattro and a chip, and don't mind the feel and noise of a 4 cylinder? Get the A4. Just want to drive it? Get the BMW. I'm going to get in trouble with the A4 guys, but I would get the BMW in this case. <p>Charles<br>
Old 03-21-1999, 08:17 AM
nic

Default A4 1.8T quattro, tip. gotta try it. (very long)

I've owned 4 BMW's and 3 Audi's since 1980. and way too many other cars to mention. This time I opted for the A4 1.8T quattro, tip. For me, after so many cars, there has to be something about a car that is interesting, and unique. The BMW is a great driving car with a solid controlled feel, yet the same can be said about several other brands. The A4 is just plain "sweet" and fun as hell to drive. The quattro makes the car feel very attached to the ground. Cornering is awsome, even in the rain. Let's face it, 0-60 is over rated. Like how many times can that be a thrill. Hitting a curve with a warning of 40 mph at about 70mph and doing this with ease is heart pounding. The 1.8T is a really interesting engine in that for very little money you can increase the hp substantially. Even off the show room it is eager and never lets up. With the tiptronic the off the line is misserable. But again, so. I never drive in full auto position and cutting in and out of traffic and hitting those curves is a dream with the tip. And as I mentioned the fact of a clutchless manual is so interesting that I had to experience it. I am very glad I made all the choices on this car...the Neuspeed chip will be here Tues.
Old 03-21-1999, 08:19 AM
falcon

I understand, but Hweitzz77 should also take into account the 323 tested stickered for $6,300 more.
Old 03-21-1999, 08:39 AM
klidge

Default To my mind, there's no comparison -

The 323i's engine is so superior to the 1.8t's, it's not a fair comparison. Drive both, back to back. The 323i is a much better drive, in my opinion. As for styling, I think the new 323i is real nice, and so is the 1.8t, but that's a purely subjective matter.<p>The problem with BMW's is the ego-image. For some that's a plus, for others it's a big minus, and it's the main reason I opted for an A4 instead. <br>

Quick Reply: 99.5 1.8T Auto vs. 323i Auto????