A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

99.5 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-1999, 07:54 AM
gco

Default 99.5 Headlights

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 99.5 headlights are NOT xenons right? Well, are the new units any brighter than the old ones? Or is it just a new clear lens cover.<p>Just curious. Still haven't test driven the a4 at night...
Old 04-07-1999, 08:09 AM
zgrant

Default Re: 99.5 Headlights

I just got my 99.5....<p>They are much brighter....<br>
Old 04-07-1999, 09:02 AM
Andy Hedin

99.5 Headlights are NOT Xenons...they are projector-beam lights however
Old 04-07-1999, 09:14 AM
JDI

Speaking of headlights, just how far are the low<br>beams supposed to go anyway? My first night drive<br>made me nervous -- with the sharp line cutoff of<br>the low beams they didn't go out very far. At<br>high speed I couldn't see far enough ahead to tell<br>which way the lane went. Maybe they're misaimed?<p>Thx,<br> -- John<br>
Old 04-07-1999, 10:12 AM
G. Hale

Sounds about the same as the projector beams on my Subaru SVX. Those things were terrible at high speeds. Definitely need the fogs on to help cover the part of the road that is in the dark due to the sharp cutoff. I thought it was a defect in the Subaru, but it sounds as this may be one of the features of the projector beam.... I wonder if it's another DOT specification, that doesn't exist on the Euro models?
Old 04-07-1999, 10:48 AM
christine s

Default Headlights are hard to get used to

Drove the new baby around last night, noticing the sharp line and the "zigzag" the lights' line makes from left to right. Dealer today said that was how it's supposed to be?? Don't like the "lowness" of the left side of the beam and the little place between left & right where the beam skips up keeps me looking there. He said this type of headlight was in Europe first and then made it to the US models. It's a projector beam, like the A6's, and def. not xenon. But if xenon's are an option on 6's then why can't WE in the 4's have em?? Things that make you go HMMMM.<br><br>Love the lighting otherwise- the red inside with the lights from the sunroof control panel is kewl.<br>
Old 04-07-1999, 11:36 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Sounds just like the E-Code (European) light pattern....

From the descriptions I keep reading on the 99.5 projector-beam lights, the light dispersion pattern sounds just like the E-code (European) headlights I have. The left beam has a sharp horizontal cutoff, then there is a slight step-up to the right beam, and then the right beam angles up to the right (which helps see signs and critters on the side of the road).<p>The left beam is intentionally slightly lower than the right so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic. The sharp cutoff on the left beam also helps in this regard.<p>Andy Hedin<br>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar, E-codes...
Old 04-07-1999, 02:47 PM
JDI

Default Re: Sounds just like the E-Code (European) light pattern....

<br>> The left beam is intentionally slightly lower than the right so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic<br>> The sharp cutoff on the left beam also helps in this regard.<p>It may not blind oncoming traffic per se, but I'm sure it will when I have to turn on the high<br>beams to be able to see more than 100ft in front of me. With the projector pattern as it<br>is you really can't see anything in front of where the headlights cutoff. Maybe I'll learn<br>to see in the dark better...<br>
Old 04-07-1999, 03:15 PM
Andy Hedin

Default Re: Sounds just like the E-Code (European) light pattern....

I'd try adjusting your left light a little higher. Others with pre-99.5's have done this and have been pleased with the results. This may or may not work with the 99.5 projector beams, but it's worth a try and if you do it yourself (should be really easy) it costs nothing. Even if you ask your dealer to check the headlight alignment, it should cost nothing due to Audi Advantage.<p> Andy Hedin
Old 04-07-1999, 06:20 PM
Kirk

Default Re: Headlights are hard to get used to

My old 94 Integra had projector lights. I loved them, they also had the sharp cutoff, but I could see just fine, I wonder if there is a difference? Also, the left was lower, again to not blind oncoming drivers, with high and low beams on, it was like daylight. The 99 A4 that I drive is definitely a downgrade in the headlight dept. I would be curious if the 99.whatever lights can be installed in my car, can't wait for someone to try who has more ***** then me.<p>Kirk<br>