A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

99 Audi A4 with air bag, abs, and brake lights on: Couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Audi A4 with air bag, abs, and brake lights on: Couple questions

I have a 99 Audi I got for trade of a Dodge Ram.

It has a few lights on that I'd like a few thoughts on.

First the air bag light, I know it was in an accident in 2008 but everything seems to be fully repaired and has been inspected since and has also been a daily driver.
I know the passenger seat has been replaced because of some rips, could there be a loose or some non-connection in that seat? I don't have a VAG-com readily available so please don't repeat my need for one :P

Second is the ABS light. I know the car needs brakes, I have all new brakes and rotors in the trunk that are scheduled to go on. Could lack of brake pads be the issue or could it be worse?

Third is the flashing brake light. I'm assuming that is because there really aren't ANY rear pads and the e-brake does absolutely nothing. I would guess that replacing the rear brakes and adjusting the brake cable will fix that flashing light.

Any thoughts guys? Thanks!
Old 12-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You seem to have the infamous Module problem.... Pulled it out and send it in for Rebuild....

I did that and Flashing brake light went out... Then I also Found our I had Right Reaar ABS Sendor Bad.

If you have the dealer do it,,, Expect to pay Moolah..
Old 12-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you have some more info on the module? What do you mean by rebuild?

A local garage should be kind correct? I do a lot of business with them.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess it is a very common problem in some Audis and VW's... You have to take your Left Driver Side Tire Off plus the Mud Guard... Then you will be able to take the ABS Module out.

From What I heared and read about,,, IT is VERY Common.. Something inside Craps out and causes the Brake Light to Blink along with ABS. If you are not mechanicaly inclined... Take it to a Mechanic, and tell them about this.... You can still drive the Car without the Module.... Then you send it out to module master and they refurb it for you and send it back to you.

I did that and it was much cheper than buying a new one.... And it workd.. They give you 1 Year Warranty.

After you have the module fixed.... There should be no lights,,, IF ABS light is still on,, then you need a VAG Scanner to figure out which sensor is bad... I took my car to a Mechanic for that one since it is pain in the Rear to take them out... They like to rust.

If Brake Light only is only... Then you have Brake pad sensor damaged most likely.

Nothing Evil,,,