A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

99 audi on craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a bad car for the price considering all the problems? I'm not sure.

Is he full of ****? Yea, pretty sure. That's what makes me the most nervous.

Who cleans their tranny fluid?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree. Run like crazy the other direction. Lots of good, well maintained Audis out there.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mtroxel
Is it a bad car for the price considering all the problems? I'm not sure.

Is he full of ****? Yea, pretty sure. That's what makes me the most nervous.

Who cleans their tranny fluid?
it just passed smog. yeah he makes it sound like he does all the work on it but I don't think he does. he came back down to $2300 I'm still going to take a look at it. if it's got gremlins I hope they present themselves. I'm worried about the battery disconnect causing a bad idle (so says he, it will "level out" after driving for awhile you don't need to take it to the dealership to have it reset). that'll make it hard to tell if anything is actually wrong
Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The rough idle will not "level out" and the battery disconnect makes me suspicious that other gremlins are lurking. I would be wary of "just an ABS module and only one clicking CV boot. Spend some time on it before you drop the cash on this dude. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
The rough idle will not "level out" and the battery disconnect makes me suspicious that other gremlins are lurking. I would be wary of "just an ABS module and only one clicking CV boot. Spend some time on it before you drop the cash on this dude. Good luck.
I just called a local audi dealership and confirmed that. he said disconnecting the battery MAY mess with the throttle body and cause a rough idle, reset clock, windows won't roll up. and he also said that the 2.8 would be scheduled for a tune up at 160k so I'll ask him about that as well. I forgot to ask about the ABS module.. any insight on that issue?

and I've changed IFS axle shafts before so that's no issue. I recruited a friend of mine who knows slightly more about imports than I do. thanks for the luck! I'll report back in a few hours
Old 01-03-2013, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well if you can get it for $2000 and put $1000 max into it you have a pretty good deal. Remember that the girls all get prettier at closing time. Make sure you want to wake up next to this one, so to speak.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ABS module seems to be a straight forward out and in but then you have wheel sensors and the associated wiring etc. See what your dealer pal has to say. Can you VAG it before you drop the dough? That would be a good way to go.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well if you can get it for $2000 and put $1000 max into it you have a pretty good deal. Remember that the girls all get prettier at closing time. Make sure you want to wake up next to this one, so to speak.
it's not a bad looking car I just need it to take me to work. it'll go to a family member or I might try to flip it after a few months we'll see.

ABS module seems to be a straight forward out and in but then you have wheel sensors and the associated wiring etc. See what your dealer pal has to say. Can you VAG it before you drop the dough? That would be a good way to go.
"i have VAG-COM it plenty of times and did the researched that my problems is a very common problem, i can fix it and will fix it when i get time." that's what he said about it in the ad. the dealer is closed for the night.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought it

$2350 and he threw in the wheel and tire package. so now I don't need to buy new tires

needs alignment
2 axle shafts
ABS light is blinking
reg is up in feb
cracked windshield
smogged today so that's good
I think that's it

engine is straight and it drives really nice
the body is fairly beat. nothing some elbow grease and a good paint job won't fix
I'm happy with it

thanks for the help guys
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 99 Audi purchase

Good deal. You will need the correct triple square wrench for the axles but they are pretty easy. I think I bought a set from an ebay seller. New pinch bolts too. STF for a solution to the blinking ABS light. Wait until you get your news axles in before you go to the alignment shop. Have fun! ;-)

Last edited by Huskerbob; 01-04-2013 at 04:01 AM. Reason: additional thought