A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sure, GIAC makes a valet program that limits speed to 30mph...

I'm sure they could make it 60 or whatever if anyone wanted. However, what if there is a situation on the road that requires you to quickly overtake someone or get out of the way? Sometimes speed is needed to avoid an accident, although these are rare cases, I know.

Getting a crappy beater is also not good since it will most likely have some old airbags/safety systems which you do know know if you can trust or not have them at all. Your kid may not be going fast, but the person that hits them may be, and in that case you need all the safety systems you can get to increase your kid's chances of surviving.

Whatever you do, kids will always find a way to get in trouble - that's what makes them kids. One way to make the more cautious is to instill the sense of value in them - make them pay for their car, don't give it to them. When they know how much hard work went into buying a car, they'll appreciate it more and will be more cautious with it. I sincerely doubt that 18-year-old paid for that Mercedes.

These things happen though, no matter what you do. Sometimes it's the other person that's at fault. But what are you gonna do? Lock up the kid in the basement and never let 'em out of the house?
Old 10-07-2003, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Elder Member

Yes, he is single and looking for a good time
AudiWorld Super User

What &$%@ing teenagers have a CL500?!?!
Old 10-07-2003, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes there is. Now these morons are out of the equation. Can't take out anybody else
Old 10-07-2003, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Spoiled little brats who clearly didn't earn one
Old 10-07-2003, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, the driver already took out 2 possibly innocent people - isn't that bad enough?
Old 10-07-2003, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default it's really too bad.

I think it was a year after I got my license before my parents would let me drive by myself, after dark. I could have friends if I was driving around town, but no road trips. I could only go to the malls on the weekends and not at night... my mom ran a tight ship, but I think I'm much better for it, I've never been in an accident or lost control of my vehicle. She also sent me to driver's ed and driving school, and has encouraged me to attend any driving classes I can. She still bugs me about my driving, and I'm 23 and moved out for 5 years since college.

I think it reflects a lot on parents caring for their kids, and caring about their well-being. Giving the kids a $100,000 car at 17 and letting them freewheel along the highways... not smart.

I always felt a great deal of responsibility to my parents, and never wanted to let them down. And they always put the fear of God into me... my mother's favorite words when warning me about driving stupid was "if you ever get into an accident and hurt yourself or anyone else... you better hope you're not hurt too bad, because I'll beat the hell out of you." Now after this I'd joke around with my friends about how mom threatened me, but it always loomed in my head when my friends wanted me to mess around, or race some kid (in the Chevy eurosport station wagon at that!) or drive 90.

There are a couple of rich kids I talk to, who have had their cars bought and given to them. They drive like complete idiots, without any care as to who they would hurt, or that they're damaging property they didn't pay for. Absolutely no remorse or second thought, even telling them "hey dude, you shouldn't drive like that" provokes hostile reactions, about them knowing how to drive like schumacher, driving isn't hard, I could drive with my eyes closed, blah blah.

I don't know an answer honestly. But it's pretty sad.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Yeah, that is bad, but he can't do any more damage (the good)
Old 10-07-2003, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The bad thing is the brat brought someone else with him. RIP

Quick Reply: .