A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

a4 1.8t engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a4 1.8t engine swap

hey guys the wifes got a 2001 a4 1.8 turbo with the awm engine weve been having mad overheating problems for ages did a head gasket had it skimmed new water pump etc decided its a lost cause just cant stop it from over heating so i found a accident dammaged 99 passat with a 1.8t aeb engine im planning on doing a engine swap but noticed theres a few differences could i use the computer and wiring loom from the passat or is it best to keep the audi loom and ecu and just adapt it all to fit
Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cannot do AEB engine. Fix why its overheating. Thermostat? Radiator fans, clutch fan, Radiator? Junk like dirt mud leaves ect blocking radiator? Theres plenty of things to cause an overheat condition besides just headgaskets and waterpumps. These are strong engines, definatly not a lost cause. Youll probably put a new one and in and it does the same thing if the radiator or fans arnt working properly. Now its actually overheating right? Not just the gauge or temp sensor, and you are properly bleeding air from the cooling system.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

yep checked everything changed thermostat water pump did a head gasket had head skimmed new coolant bottle cleaned and flushed the rad bled the system a million times it was good until it broke a coolant bottle ever since it did that ive not been able to keep it cool ,well heres the strange thing if i leave it sat running it dont over heat i can leave it at idle or a fast idle (3000rpm) and its fine temp stays where it should i drive it for 1/2 a mile its boiling over ,i ran a compression test and its low on 2-3 cylinders ,been told it could be a cracked cylinder wall or bad head could i do a aeb head swap on to the awm engine ive heard of it being done ,why is it not possible to run the aeb engine in the awm car
Old 12-12-2012, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevied311
yep checked everything changed thermostat water pump did a head gasket had head skimmed new coolant bottle cleaned and flushed the rad bled the system a million times it was good until it broke a coolant bottle ever since it did that ive not been able to keep it cool ,well heres the strange thing if i leave it sat running it dont over heat i can leave it at idle or a fast idle (3000rpm) and its fine temp stays where it should i drive it for 1/2 a mile its boiling over ,i ran a compression test and its low on 2-3 cylinders ,been told it could be a cracked cylinder wall or bad head could i do a aeb head swap on to the awm engine ive heard of it being done ,why is it not possible to run the aeb engine in the awm car
Isn't the 2001 Drive by Wire?

All sorts of issues with that, no throttle linkage etc.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Isn't the 2001 Drive by Wire?

All sorts of issues with that, no throttle linkage etc.
i was planning on running the awm intake with the throttle body and i believe its a vvt sensor on the back of the cam shaft i was going to use from the awm to the aeb ,ive heard you can use the aeb head on a awm block just not sure what the big differences are between the aeb block to the awm i do have the complete wiring harness and computer (and the whole passat) i can rob for parts just trying to get a heads up as to what was needed to do the swap
Old 12-12-2012, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

it will fit but you will always have check engine light one, the issue is the AEB doesn't have EGR port so it will never work properly. as for the block it also will fit, it just has a external water pump which has clearence issues in some applications but shouldn't be a problem for you. you will need to swap knock sensors and use your intake, swap cam chain tensioners and basically thats it, then just live with the check engine light always on since you will no longer have EGR.

I would assume their is a blockage someplace. remove the thermostat also make sure the impeller is good on the waterpump, with the thermostat removed check the impeller make sure it isn't cracked or spin on the shaft. then check radiator for blockage. but my guess is coolant issue not engine
Old 12-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by jschick
the AEB doesn't have EGR port so it will never work properly.
None of these engines have EGR systems.

AEB lacks (among other things) secondary air injection borings.

Last edited by 4Driver4; 12-12-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Because racecar