A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 1.8T or maxima????

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2000, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree. Go for the Sushi Sled.

<p>Philbiker
Old 05-31-2000, 11:14 AM

Default Yes, remember that the Krauts are the Master Race!

Just kidding. Watch the abbreviations, please.
Old 05-31-2000, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Without wishing to repeat what others have already said....

I'd say you really have 3 test drives to perform: The Maxima in the configuration you desire; the A4 in the tip/sport package configuration; and the A4 in the manual/sport package configuration. Yeah, I know, you said the tip is a must because of the wife. But in the interest of being a fully informed consumer you really do need to know about the difference between the tip and the stick. Do all three, then decide. And if like me you tell yourself you just gotta have the stick, you'll figure out a way to convince your wife of that. And even if after that you still would choose the tip, it's still a lot better -- in terms of drivability and fun factor -- than what you'll get for a transmission on the Maxima. As for the other options: Definitely get the sport package; it's a bargain for what it is, and greatly improves road feel and handling. Quattro likewise is a must, IMO. With those features, of course, comparing the A4 to the Maxima is really pretty unfair to the Maxima.<p>Rick
99.5 1.8TQMS silver/onyx
Old 05-31-2000, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are some who have chosen Maxima, or Acura CL or Solara over an A4. >>>>

And I can't imagine what in the world would cause me to get any one of them.

But everybody needs to chose based on their own priorities.

After your test drives you will have the most important data you need to make your decision.

I second all that's been said about the value of quattro & the sport package.

Good luck.

John
99.5 1.8tqms
Old 05-31-2000, 12:34 PM

Default Re: A4 1.8T or maxima????

Have you also posted your message on www.maxima.org?
Old 05-31-2000, 12:38 PM

No I didn't know the site existed. Should I????
Old 05-31-2000, 12:46 PM

I think you should... that is unless you really want to get an A4.
Old 05-31-2000, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I made this exact same decision back in nov. 99. I went for the A4. I had a 95 maxima SE, and was looking at either the Audi or Max. When all was said and done the price was the same...maybe the max a bit cheaper but not 5k, more like 800-1k difference. I just didn't like the way the new max looked. However the V6 is the best in the industry and my previous 95 SE auto, lasted 102k miles.

I live in Houston and opted for the A4 1.8T Quattro, Manual, Xenon, and Sport and it came to around 28.9k. I am so happy I went with the Audi, its refinement and overall build quality is light years over Nissans. It feels solid instead of the plastic feel like the max. With a chip the A4 is close to the new Max in performance. Plus you don't have to deal with front wheel drive tourqe steering.

Go check out...
http://www.thepeel.com/maxima/forum/wwwthreads.pl
This the new Maxima.org BBS...they are very friendly and give the A4 high remarks.
Old 05-31-2000, 02:33 PM

I just went through this decision. You really can't tell until you test drive it yourself though. I've found that the prices are fairly comparable (SE vs 1.8TQMSx). My roommate and I both looked at it. I thought it was ok. Didn't deserve the $27000 price tag it had on it though. Had a kinda cheap feel, especially the manual transmission. Thought the audi was better almost all around. Didn't seem to notice this amazing V6 power the maxima was supposed to have. It seemed pretty quick, but not 222 hp and 217 ftlb of torque quick. My roommate tested the ABS on it (and was promptly yelled at by the saleswoman) and it didn't do well at all. And that was at low speed.

I personally opted for the a4 I'm about to order. The maxima just didn't perform like a car I wanted.
Old 05-31-2000, 02:58 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default Personally, the looks of the new Maxima make me want to heave, but it's a personal decision...

When you drive the two, pay very careful attention to the details. Sit in each for a long time -- find a comfortable driving position. Adjust the steering wheel (can't telescope the Maxima's) and feel how nice the Audi's. Play with the headlight washers. Slam the doors a few times. Look at the interior materials and layout. Take a few corners very aggressively. You will notice that the Maxima will be a lot faster than the 1.8QTip, but it should be since it has nearly 50% more HP. Keep in mind the ability to buy a performance chip that increases turbo boost pressure and HP to about 200 in the Audi. It completely changes the feel of the Audi. Ask about free maintenance and loaner cars on the Maxima too - they probably don't offer them.

Quick Reply: A4 1.8T or maxima????