A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 1.8T need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I think you miss my point.

I don't know about the quality of the piece. Am an speaking to the intelligence of installing something like this on your car.

Skip.
Still may not follow. You suggesting there's no reason to replace the stock waste?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

The stock unit is fine for stock boost or even chipped. If you are running big boost and a more robust unit is needed, buy a bypass valve that recirculates the air into the intake track. Venting to atmosphere is a bad idea. It confuses the ECU.

Unless you are running a program that writes out the MAF and you really like cool noises, you want to stay away from blow off valves.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I read up on this and with stock boost, any blow off valve of any kind is taking away air that the computer expects to be there. Running a BOV would lead to running rich and losing power and efficiency. In my case, the DV isnt working so im replacing it with an oem one.. Thanks for everyones help
Old 05-25-2012, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Forge Splitter Valve

Originally Posted by gottaBdope
I'm curious to see what people think of that splitter or if anyone has any experience with it...I was looking at the exact same thing and it seems (through pictures and descriptions) to be the same as a Forge one without the Forge name one it. Half the price though!

Do not buy the Forge Splitter Style Bov you can find on ebay, very cheap and does more harm then good. I bought my A4 in december and someone had tried to make some mods to it by putting the El'cheapo forge noname splitter valve on it, it was hooked up like the factory diverter which is a no no. and after taking it apart to find the pressure cup scored and gauged up, it doesnt hold boost pressure and is very unreliable, even thou its half the price of a Forge unit, its totally not worth buying. Buy only the Splitter R with forge's name engraved in the body of the BOV.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtracerny1
Buy only the Splitter R with forge's name engraved in the body of the BOV.
Or, better yet, buy a bypass valve.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default audi blow off valve problem

Originally Posted by dirtracerny1
Do not buy the Forge Splitter Style Bov you can find on ebay, very cheap and does more harm then good. I bought my A4 in december and someone had tried to make some mods to it by putting the El'cheapo forge noname splitter valve on it, it was hooked up like the factory diverter which is a no no. and after taking it apart to find the pressure cup scored and gauged up, it doesnt hold boost pressure and is very unreliable, even thou its half the price of a Forge unit, its totally not worth buying. Buy only the Splitter R with forge's name engraved in the body of the BOV.
I bought a used a4 98 1.8t. Correct me if im wrong i believe the 1.8ts come stalk with a diverter valve. But the previous owner of my vehicle did a conversion into a blow off valve, and my car has a stalling problem. When im coming to stop sign and i press on the brakes it likes to stall and cut out but it cuts out a lot more when the AC is on. Im just wondering if the set up of the blow off would have anything to do with this? someone help me please
Old 07-31-2012, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default blow off valve over DV.

Originally Posted by go-team-canada@hotmail.com
I bought a used a4 98 1.8t. Correct me if im wrong i believe the 1.8ts come stalk with a diverter valve. But the previous owner of my vehicle did a conversion into a blow off valve, and my car has a stalling problem. When im coming to stop sign and i press on the brakes it likes to stall and cut out but it cuts out a lot more when the AC is on. Im just wondering if the set up of the blow off would have anything to do with this? someone help me please
The only blow off valve that works with the recirculation system of audi is the Forge splitter R BOV. the system needs to recirculate when your not on the gas. the stalling could be due to the throttle position sensor being out of whack. try to recalibrate it or see if its giving off a code. when my i had bought my car someone had put the cheap imitation forge bov on it, and was not hooked up right and was going to atmosphere, the vacumn line was not hooked up to the bov at all. the rpms would come down when off the throttle and then climb for 3 seconds or so.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:36 AM
Mr Mc Feely

Originally Posted by turbo510
The system already has a diverter valve, which doesn't make a cool noise when you shift gears, but also doesn't change the A/F ratio. Lots of people just upgrade the DV.
Convert your OE airbox into and open air intake - it will make plenty of noise during shifts