A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 2.8 Quattro clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 2.8 Quattro clutch replacement

Hi Guys,

Has anyone done a clutch replacement on a 2000 model A4 2.8 Quattro Sport?

I have tried to source a clutch kit from SACHS but was told that do not offer one for this model car? Does anyone know if there are kits available fom other aftermarket suppliers?

I have also been told that the flywheel also needs to be replaced when you do the clutch replacement because it is always marked and cannot be refaced. Is this correct?

I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has done the job before.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A comment....

I replaced the clutch on our 00 30v quattro(80k on it) sport with a Sachs clutch kit with no issues(Sachs,Luk, Valeo are OEM). You don't always have to replace the flywheel. It depends on how worn it is, score marks on the surface, cracks, or the flex section not within spec or oil exposed. You'll need to inspect it first, but yes there are not many machine shops who can re-surface a duel mass flywheel properly. If there is even a question about it, then I would recomend changing it. Dropping the trans on these cars is a timely process and probably not worth doing twice if you don't have to. While your in there, its worth replacing the axle seals, axle bolts, clutch slave, pivot, pivot spring, guide sleeve, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, and trans mounts if you have not done them lately.
The clutch disk was not the problem on our car as it was the pressure plate starting to fail(symptoms: hard pedal, high contact point, hard shifting, etc). When I got the original LUK clutch disk out , there was a far amount of material still left. Having said that, with the trans out, its still worth installing a whole kit.
The following users liked this post:
desertsage (02-29-2020)
Old 11-22-2006, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default vast may resurface your fly wheel.

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2629523.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2629523.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 11-23-2006, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I just did mine on my '99 2.8 quattro sport...

I got my clutch from these guys on e-bay. They have a website too... www.buyclutch.com

They had the best prices i could find. I also needed a new flywheel as when we took the old one out it was shot! All the spring movement of the dual mass FW was seized. The only place to get a dual mass replacement was the dealer...$$$ It hurt<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-A4-A6-2-8L-PASSAT-LUK-SACHS-NEW-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQitemZ170053198160QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33730Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-A4-A6-2-8L-PASSAT-LUK-SACHS-NEW-CL
Old 11-23-2006, 03:23 PM

Default Re: A comment....

Hi 77'911. Thank you very much for your feedback and I really appreciate the advice.
My car is still going OK (100 000 miles) but I am sure that I will need to do the job soon as nothing lasts forever. I would prefer to do it as planned maintenance before it lets me down.
I will certainly take your advice and change the flywheel and associated parts just because it is not worth leaving anything to chance and have to do it a second time!
I am surprised that you mention SACHS and LUK offer kits for this car. I contacted the local agents for both suppliers who said they do not offer a kit for the 2.8 Quattro Sport? Do you know if the clutch is the same for 2.8 FWD and Quattro models? I was about to arrange a loan before going to the agents.
You say that you dropped the transmission. Would it not be easier to maybe remove the bumper/radiator and move the motor forward to gain access from the front?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:31 PM

Default Re: I just did mine on my '99 2.8 quattro sport...

Thanks for the info JJ - I looked up the website and have dropped the supplier a mail. Vast seems like a good source of performance parts for Audi's. I think I will replace the flywheel anyway when I do the job - it does not seem worth the risk to put the old one back and do the job twice!
Kind regards.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Re: vast may resurface your fly wheel.

Hi Jafo, Thanks but I'm sure the cost will be too high to send my old flywheel to VAST for resurfacing from South Africa. I will have to just bite the bullet and purchase a new one. This is the price (and a lot more believe me!) we pay for living in Africa.
Kind regards.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default A side note...

I may be wrong about this so if anyone has more/better/correct input please chime in.

If your going with the OEM Sachs clutch kit it is not a good idea to use an aftermarket single mass flywheel. The OEM friction plate that comes with the kit is not spring loaded because the dual mass flywheel is spring loaded so it absorbs the shock from the shift.
If your going to use an aftermarket single mass flywheel (like the one on the vast site) then you should probably find an after market clutch kit that has a spring loaded disk.
Without some form of load absorbsion(either from a dual mass FW or a spring loaded disk) I would assume that shock would be translated to the tranny itself which may cause other issues down the road.

Like I said...I may be way off...I just did my first clutch last month but that was my understanding from what i read.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
desertsage (02-29-2020)
Old 11-24-2006, 10:25 PM

Default Re: A side note...

Hi JJ,

What you say does make sense and I would think that VAST had intended the solid flywheel to be used with the beefed up clutch.

Either combination would be an experiment and why install some unproven mismatch if it means another 12 hours under the car if it is not successful?

I like the VAST solution but I am just very far away to ship flywheels back and forth and it really does not seem worth the effort and expense. I only use the car on the road and do not have any intention to race so maybe the standard clutch kit will do. I have done 100k miles on this one and it has not failed yet so hopefully the next kit will give similiar service.

Kind regards.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:40 PM

Default Re: A4 2.8 Quattro clutch replacement

what is the process of dropping the transmission to change the clutch???

Quick Reply: A4 2.8 Quattro clutch replacement