A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 2.8 suspension noise and sunroof glitch

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-1999, 12:09 PM
Clay

Default A4 2.8 suspension noise and sunroof glitch

My '96 (with only 25,000 miles) just started presenting problems within 60 days after the warranty expired. As follows:

1) Squeeks from front/driver side suspension. Went to the shop and was told this was a known problem with the bushings used on the '96 and would cost approx $1200! Can I push for a warranty fix and get any satisfaction?

2) Sunroof just started malfunction of not closing. When activating to close, the sunroof moves forward but automatically re-opens when reaching the end of the run. Anyone heard of this?

Thanks. Appreciate emailing directly: shukester@hotmail.com
Old 09-02-1999, 01:48 PM
Lazlo

Default $1200??!!!

I used to have a 96 2.8qm and experienced the lower control arm problem you are refering to. It is extremely common. The bushings apparently wear out on the control arms, and the bushings themselves cannot be fixed, therefore you need a whole new lower control arm. Dealers do this to A4's so much that many have the control arms on backorder. My dealer charged me around $250.00 for one control arm (including labor), so $1200 is rediculous, unless it is for all four. I have heard many people get these fixed for free out of warrantee, so talk to your dealer, or talk to audi directly. They might at least go 50/50 with you.

I have also seen the sunroof problem being mentioned, but can't remember the actual fix. I would check the archives. There will be a wealth of info on both of these problems there.

99.5 1.8qms
Old 09-02-1999, 01:49 PM
Lazlo

ooops. sorry, i missed the email directly request.
Old 09-03-1999, 10:33 AM
Cathleen

Default My '96 has 79k, some helpful advice, I hope...

First of all, the control arm bushing problem is not just a '96 problem. Audi has not been able to fix this issue in several model years. Hopefully the '00 models will have a new design like the S4 and the S4 design will hopefully be better.
I know of a couple people with brand new A4s that are already having this bushing/control arm problem. Actually, the dealer by me says that they can service the bushings but it takes more labor time/cost than just replacing the entire arm.
I would take your issue to AoA and your area rep. Being that you have so few miles and are just out of warranty, they may help....or at least split a portion of the bill.
I was able to have my control arms replaced using some that only had a couple thousand miles on them. They came from a totalled A4 and were purchased from a salvage yard.
My first set was replaced at 35k miles under warranty and that was on a stock suspension. That set started to fail at about 70k (another 35k worth) and now I'm on set #3. Mind you, these came from a brand new 99. What's funny is, these are already squeaky and they've only got about 10k on them.
BTW, I had all four lower control arms in front replaced, the upper shock mounts, tie-rod ends and other misc. parts. The Dealer I went to quoted $2,600 to do that entire front end job (all the various parts and labor). That's when we decided to do it ourselves...using salvage parts.
If Audi won't help you, try to find an independent Audi mechanic who has connections to salvage yards. That may be a better alternative until someone designs a better after market control arm with a sturdier ball joint and better bushing material.
-Cathleen (still love the car in spite of the pathetic control arms).