A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 2.8 vs. New 328 Shootout: www.caranddriver.com

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-1998, 05:25 AM
Miles

Default A4 2.8 vs. New 328 Shootout: www.caranddriver.com

Wow! The Car and Driver Website now has a very long article comparing the A4 2.8 with the new 328 BMW-- seven pages, with photos. Unfortunately, the A4 came in second, but it was very close. C&D gave the BMW points for having a better engine, better acceleration, better brakes, and better emergency handling. I was surprised at the difference in some of the speed times they cited-- the Audi was significantly slower all the way to 130mph. Both cars were equipped with their version of a sports package-- although the Bimmer package comes with 17" wheels (At a greatly increased price). The Audi was criticized for its floaty feeling on the track.<br>I'm interested in hearing what you all think about this. Check out the site for yourselves at:<p>www.caranddriver.com.<p>Of course, I'm not trying to start any flame wars. I obviously am biased towards A4s, but it doesn't surprise me that BMW would look at their main competition and make it a point to come out with a new model that went a little further than the A4. Now, it will be Audi's turn to retake the lead with the next revision of the A4, and I can't wait. Personally, I think this kind of competition is good for all of us, because we'll all end up getting better cars.<p>Miles<br>
Old 12-02-1998, 05:31 AM
klidge

The only thing you'll get flamed for is referring to an article most forum members read months ago.
Old 12-02-1998, 05:35 AM
Miles

Default What! Have I been that out of it lately!? Guess so... sorry

<br>nt
Old 12-02-1998, 05:38 AM
F.L. Ames

Default Old news, man. Where have you been?

nt<br>
Old 12-02-1998, 06:45 AM
Donnie

Default It's kind of like asking a question in class when you got there late and it's already been asked..

And haven't we all been there ? Let's balance the concern for bandwidth with a little compassion for new posters.<p>BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE, check the freakin' archives, search the web yourself ( browser search button - DOH !! ), do your homework, people !!<p>D.
Old 12-02-1998, 07:24 AM
Miles

Default Yeah, except I'm anything but a new poster.. check the archives and you'll see =)

nt<br>
Old 12-02-1998, 08:11 AM
DH

Default Re: It's kind of like asking a question in class when you got there late and it's already been asked..

He had already apologized. So why the (to quote your mature vernacular) "freakin'" flame?
Old 12-02-1998, 10:57 AM
Donnie

Default Sorry Miles, no flame intended, more a general RANT ( having a bad day )

Just wanted an excuse to use the word "freakin'".<p>Donnie ( Forty, still uses immature vernacular )
Old 12-02-1998, 02:00 PM
Mark Collett

Default The A4 wins b/c it's not a bimmer...

Don't get me wrong, I've driven many BMW's and they're great machines. But so much more $$$$ than a beautiful A4... and not every snot on the block owns an A4Q<br>with an A4.org plate frame etc. etc. <p>Audi will get my business because they're A4 is unique and handles great. I'd give up a second or two to 60mph for a few thousand $$$$$$ savings.<p>Mark<br>
Old 12-02-1998, 03:32 PM
tHe uNaBimMeR

Default You can't afford a 'unique' car

We are talking MASS PRODUCED cars here.......the A4 being no exception.

Quick Reply: A4 2.8 vs. New 328 Shootout: www.caranddriver.com