A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 Avant sports car feel or not

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-1999, 10:27 AM
Mock

Default A4 Avant sports car feel or not

Ok I currently drive a BMW 325i and love it but need to get a car a bit more practical (aka kids) but still want the sporty drive and feel. So am I kiding myself in thinking that the A4 Avant is still has a sports call feel but with as the catalog says "A Fanny Pack" in the rear, or should I just bite it and get a normal sedan (perish the thought) any thoughts on the a4 Avant is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-13-1999, 10:55 AM
Steve W (in MD)

Default A4 Avant

I purchased a 99.5 Avant 1.8TQM because my son wouldn't fit well enough in the back seat of the sedan. I liked the look of the Avant from the first time I saw it a couple years ago in Europe, and I still feel that is is one of the better looking cars on the road, irrespective of body style. After a test drive, I fell in love with its balance. This car is hooked up better than many cars marketed as 'sporty'. I got the sports package for its tire/wheel combination and suspension upgrade, and the sports seats for back and thigh support (I have another post on that topic just below this). I think it is reasonable to describe the Avant as having a sporty feel, but certainly not in the same way that the RS4 has a sport car feel.

Since you are thinking of an Avant from the perspective of a 325i, you may be looking to a 2.8 liter engine. If you are contemplating a 1.8T Avant with Tip, you should talk with Adam S. or others who have experienced this combination.

Steve W (in MD)
Old 09-13-1999, 10:57 AM
MikeH

Default This is a good choice...(more)

In fact, I was completly sold on the idea until the S4 came out available (at least for now) only as a Sedan. I then realized that the sedan's completely-fold-down rear seats make it a option for "trash hauling".

So now I'm paralyzed between an S4 sedan and an A4 Avant. Either one seem like a you-can't-lose choice

Read posts here about sport suspension. I believe it will be a definite requirement for your taste in cars.
Old 09-13-1999, 10:59 AM
J.Russ

Default Avant handles as well as or better than sedan; or wait for new 3-series touring...

... which is not as good-looking as the avant, IMHO.
Old 09-13-1999, 11:00 AM
Steve

Default Re: A4 Avant sports car feel or not

I just got an A4 1.8Q Avant on Friday for my wife. So far we really enjoy the car. It handles great and there is no noticable difference from the A4 sedans I test drove. I like the idea that my wife will have the goodness of AWD when winter weather comes. I also got a BMW 528 wagon for me earlier this year (twins on the way, need family space but could/would not go with a SUV or, perish the thought, a minivan). For what it's worth BMW and Audi have successfully packaged wagons which handle as well as their sedans with more useful storage for those of us who need it. By the way, BMW is coming out with a 3 series wagon shortly.
Old 09-13-1999, 11:13 AM
Adam S

Default Yes! A4 Avant is very sporty....(more)

I've been very pleased with 99.5 A4 Avant 1.8T Qtip. I have just over 1400 miles on the car and I can tell you that it's more sporty than most sedans I've driven, coupes too! The handling is great, power is adequate (even with the tip), the car is nimble, smooth and refined. And this is without the sport package too.

You'll never know you're driving a wagon until you look in the rear view mirror. The Avant does well for my astronomy jaunts where I haul quite a lot of gear. I'm very pleased.

I do plan on making a few mods. First mods will probably be a Borla exhaust and a K&N filter. I'll probably follow up with H&R springs and Koni shocks. I'm also planning to chip sometime after my first service. The final touch will be 17" wheels - I'm thinking I'm going to wait until I wear out my current tires on the stock 15" wheels.

E-mail me if you have more questions.

Good luck!
Old 09-13-1999, 11:26 AM
Rick Snyder

Default My Avant is plenty sporty....

I have a 98.5 Avant 2.8 QMS with a P-Chip, K&N filter, and 16 R28s with 225/50/16s. I have never once felt that the "fanny pack" has every made this car feel less sporty. In fact I just purchased a 87' 944 S for a fun car and in the last week I have driven my Avant, the 944, and my brothers "stock" A4 2.8 QMS sedan. My Avant is the quickest, sportiest one of all three. Now this may have something to do with the changes I have made, but that's why I made them.

My car has a quicker turn in and better grip then my brother's, due to the larger rubber. My car has quicker excelleration, due to the chip/filter, then my brother's. My car is louder, but must wagons are. And, my car should have better weight distribution then a sedan, because of the fanny pack.

I love my car and if you have the need for an increadibly sporty package with extra room, you really should not look any further then the Avant. My mom is looking for a new car right now and asked why I like it so much. All I could say is that it is a very great package: above average performance, increadible looks, and room for all the toys.

Just my opinion.

Rick
98.5 Avant QMS
Old 09-13-1999, 11:28 AM
jsc

Default Re: A4 Avant sports car feel or not: all things in perspective...

The Avant is as good feeling as most sporty sedans. It is not a sports car. It has more body roll than my '73 Porsche 911 or my '94 M-B C280, but less than our '89 Saab.

It's just fine as far as I'm concerned. If I want to drive a sports car I take the 911 out.
Old 09-13-1999, 12:02 PM
MichaelD

Default Avant has plenty of sport feel!

My 99.5 A4 Avant 2.8 with the sport package and sport seats is just as sporty as the BMW 3 series. I have driven both and did not see or feel any difference that was noticable.

Mike
Old 09-13-1999, 12:15 PM
Andy Hedin

Default Don't forget the BMW 3-series Sport Wagon for 2000

nt

Quick Reply: A4 Avant sports car feel or not