A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 B5 Shut Down. Won't Start. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 B5 Shut Down. Won't Start. Please help.

So... another fun issue. My brother was driving the car, he called saying that the car just shut down. Not violently or anything. Just gently cruised to a stop. Ran the codes. P1338. Short / open circuit. Recently, the gas gauge light has been coming on and off. I've read it can be a pump issue. Also, an electrical issue. Wondering which way I should go about this; mechanical or electrical. Any one have a similar issues? The tow guy tried to tell me it was the timing belt, but I'm not so sure. When I turn the key, I hear her spin up but there's no engine firing or turning.

Thanks guys.

1998 Audi A4 B5 1.8t Quattro (automatic)
Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just really need an idea of which things to check first. Need to order parts... Probably going to start with the relays (which are apparently under the steering column) but would that cause a no-start? Gotta check the fuses. I have already followed some of the wires from the ECU, seem ok to me. I was thinking as a step by step:

Replace Fuel Relay
Replace ECU to Cam sensor
Replace Fuel Pump
Timing Belt / Water pump

Any suggestions? I really need the help.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Why don't you pull some codes and check compression? Those would be the first basic troubleshooting steps.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Why don't you pull some codes and check compression? Those would be the first basic troubleshooting steps.
It's throwing P1338. Open circuit to Cam Sensor. I'm not sure how to check compression if the car won't start.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, the engine just needs to be able to crank but not start to check compression. If you have the tool and it cranks, you can check it. Based upon the code it's throwing, I would have thought that changing out the cam sensor would be the best place to start. I don't know how expensive they are, but it's probably a good investment.

If the mechanic thinks your timing belt is buggered up, pull the front cover back on the engine and have a look at it. You should be able to see if it's messed up. My money is on the cam sensor and it's pretty easy to swap out.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:53 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

My money is on the timing belt. CPS might cause a no start, but it wouldn't kill it while driving.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
My money is on the timing belt. CPS might cause a no start, but it wouldn't kill it while driving.
And if it is the timing belt... since its an interference engine... doesn't that just mean its part out time now?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So after further inspection...

The timing BELT looks fine, however there is a lot of black residue and, most bothersome, it looks like a piece of a gear with 4 or 5 teeth on it (less than an inch in length... I'd say about 3/4") is lying just below the belt. Also, there was an open circuit (bad ground) going to cam sensor B but I am afraid to start her after discovering the piece inside the timing belt compartment.

Any insight? Please? Maybe?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Could be, depends on how much you like the car. The interesting thing about driving an older Audi is that while the resale value drops, so does the price of used parts. But sometimes, Audis are hard to "part" with.

I used to drive an '86 Audi 5000 CS Turbo, up to seven years ago when we were growing our medical device business. That thing was a maintenance headache, always dripping, not starting, or otherwise not working. This '96 A4 that I have now was is totally opposite in that regard. It always starts and runs great. Doesnt' leak. And unlike the CS, I don't baby it either. I put my foot on the floor every day from a roll to 85 MPH and redline two or three gears, with the idea that if it blows up, at 230K miles I could just walk away. And it doesn't break, or smoke, is smooth and still gets the looks. While I can now afford a bells and whistles car, this one still does everything that I need it to.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
Could be, depends on how much you like the car. The interesting thing about driving an older Audi is that while the resale value drops, so does the price of used parts. But sometimes, Audis are hard to "part" with.

I used to drive an '86 Audi 5000 CS Turbo, up to seven years ago when we were growing our medical device business. That thing was a maintenance headache, always dripping, not starting, or otherwise not working. This '96 A4 that I have now was is totally opposite in that regard. It always starts and runs great. Doesnt' leak. And unlike the CS, I don't baby it either. I put my foot on the floor every day from a roll to 85 MPH and redline two or three gears, with the idea that if it blows up, at 230K miles I could just walk away. And it doesn't break, or smoke, is smooth and still gets the looks. While I can now afford a bells and whistles car, this one still does everything that I need it to.
Love the car. When she works. She's a 98 A4 Quattro 1.8t and she's drippin' and spittin' and burning but still doing everything I need her to do, until now. I paid $1000 for her. Now she has 225K and won't start. Don't know if it's worth paying $650 for a belt and pump change if she's going to still be broken. My local "VW representative" told me it was a goner on the phone then immediately tried to sell me something so I am skeptical. It doesn't look like anything "exploded" but there is definitely debris. I have had a slight rattle with her around 2K RPM but attributed it to a turbo flutter. You haven't had anything like that, have you?

Quick Reply: A4 B5 Shut Down. Won't Start. Please help.