A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 B5 Shut Down. Won't Start. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Depends. Could be a few bent valves, could be a whole engine.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Guru

I have a head for sale in Glastonbury if you need it.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Depends. Could be a few bent valves, could be a whole engine.
If the timing belt is still pretty much intact, still in position, still intact, could it be NO bent valves or is it pretty much guaranteed to have damage?
Old 09-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anybody have a good diagram of the timing belt assembly?? Been looking. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Tech Guru

Did you look at the many writeups on timing belt service in the tech section? Have you checked to see if the marks align?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would also try turning the crank by hand and seeing if you can feel any collissions.

Then, I would do a compression test or leakdown test like 4D4 suggested.

Have you checked battery voltage at all? I'm assuming you have..but a dead alternator could cause an issue also.

Pictures of your timing belt may help us figure out what the debris is and if you should worry about it.

Not sure how you set the timing on the 1.8T but maybe you should take the steps necessary to do so and see how far off it is now.

Typically the rolling stop is caused by a timing issue grenading the engine...and it happens often enough that it's on these forums constantly. The owner of the car always tries to figure out something else, and then must finally accept that their engine is gone. That MAY not be the case here, but that is why everyone is leaning towards it and you need to take the proper steps to diagnose this. Hoping that it's something it's not will just cost you more $$ in parts.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jseklund
I would also try turning the crank by hand and seeing if you can feel any collissions.

Then, I would do a compression test or leakdown test like 4D4 suggested.

Have you checked battery voltage at all? I'm assuming you have..but a dead alternator could cause an issue also.

Pictures of your timing belt may help us figure out what the debris is and if you should worry about it.

Not sure how you set the timing on the 1.8T but maybe you should take the steps necessary to do so and see how far off it is now.

Typically the rolling stop is caused by a timing issue grenading the engine...and it happens often enough that it's on these forums constantly. The owner of the car always tries to figure out something else, and then must finally accept that their engine is gone. That MAY not be the case here, but that is why everyone is leaning towards it and you need to take the proper steps to diagnose this. Hoping that it's something it's not will just cost you more $$ in parts.
Yeah. I've been gathering that. Was just hoping since there is obvious electrical degradation maybe that could be it... I'll snap a pic for everyone. The battery is fine. The alternator wouldn't cause it to stop while driving would it? I was under the auspicious that alts only helped start and that the batt charged off the engine after it was running. My main suspects are my Cam Sensors, Fuel Relay (and/or pump), and of course the infamous timing belt... hoping its not. Expecting it will be.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlazingWombat
So after further inspection...

The timing BELT looks fine, however there is a lot of black residue and, most bothersome, it looks like a piece of a gear with 4 or 5 teeth on it (less than an inch in length... I'd say about 3/4") is lying just below the belt. Also, there was an open circuit (bad ground) going to cam sensor B but I am afraid to start her after discovering the piece inside the timing belt compartment.

Any insight? Please? Maybe?
It certainly sounds from this description that the timing belt has had at least a partial failure. Do you know how many miles are on the belt now? Options would be to pull the head and look for bent valves/marks on the piston tops. If everything survived, change the belt and move on. If there is valve/piston damage, only you can decide if you want to invest more money in her or part her out. Personally, I would add up the cost of fixing all of your issues, even those not mentioned, and go from there.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

I have had a slight rattle with her around 2K RPM but attributed it to a turbo flutter. You haven't had anything like that, have you?
Not with my 2.8 (no turbos), but with the wife's Passat 1.8T, yes. I took the turbo out and now have an experiment going. Using a grinder to get the wastegate's rivet off, I replaced the flapper with a triple stack of 18-8 stainless steel washers, holding them on with a stainless steel 5/16" cap screw and nut. While at it, I also used a Dremel to de-carbon the turbine vanes and turbine housing. I didn't know how to properly pre-load the actuator, so it's by guess. So far there's no rattle and the boost comes on like it should.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. I've been gathering that. Was just hoping since there is obvious electrical degradation maybe that could be it... I'll snap a pic for everyone. The battery is fine. The alternator wouldn't cause it to stop while driving would it? I was under the auspicious that alts only helped start and that the batt charged off the engine after it was running. My main suspects are my Cam Sensors, Fuel Relay (and/or pump), and of course the infamous timing belt... hoping its not. Expecting it will be.
The alternator is what charges the battery while the engine is running. The battery starts the car, which starts the engine spinning, which spins the alternator creating current to charge the battery. If the alternator goes bad while driving, or the serpentine belt breaks, the alternator will stop charging the battery and the car will die relatively quickly. You'll normally notice dimming lights, etc. when this happens. I'm not sure how this differs from a broken timing belt because I've been fortunate enough to not have a timing belt go on me...but I have had serpentine belts break and alternators go bad.

When is the last time the timing belt was done on your car? It is probably worth thinking about taking the entire thing apart and preparing it for a timing belt job if you haven't done it in the past 75,000 miles...which I'm guessing will make taking out the alternator easy also. You could pop it out and take it to autozone or something and they will test it for free.

Also, don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying to do the timing belt and that will fix the problem. I think you need to do a leakdown/compression test and also check the timing on the engine first. These are the basic keys to the problem.

In order for your engine to start, you need spark, fuel, air and compression. If you have a bent valve, the cylinder will have no compression - enough cylinders with insufficient compression will cause the engine to not start. Given the nature of the issue, compression needs to be confirmed before anything else. If you have no compression then it's time to think about pulling the head...

Quick Reply: A4 B5 Shut Down. Won't Start. Please help.