A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 B5 Shut Down. Won't Start. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jseklund
The alternator is what charges the battery while the engine is running. The battery starts the car, which starts the engine spinning, which spins the alternator creating current to charge the battery. If the alternator goes bad while driving, or the serpentine belt breaks, the alternator will stop charging the battery and the car will die relatively quickly. You'll normally notice dimming lights, etc. when this happens. I'm not sure how this differs from a broken timing belt because I've been fortunate enough to not have a timing belt go on me...but I have had serpentine belts break and alternators go bad.

When is the last time the timing belt was done on your car? It is probably worth thinking about taking the entire thing apart and preparing it for a timing belt job if you haven't done it in the past 75,000 miles...which I'm guessing will make taking out the alternator easy also. You could pop it out and take it to autozone or something and they will test it for free.

Also, don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying to do the timing belt and that will fix the problem. I think you need to do a leakdown/compression test and also check the timing on the engine first. These are the basic keys to the problem.

In order for your engine to start, you need spark, fuel, air and compression. If you have a bent valve, the cylinder will have no compression - enough cylinders with insufficient compression will cause the engine to not start. Given the nature of the issue, compression needs to be confirmed before anything else. If you have no compression then it's time to think about pulling the head...
Oh. Umm. I have no idea when the belt was last done, if it ever was. I've only had the car for a few months. If its at 225k I imagine it has to have been done atleast twice I hope. What involved in a compression test? Should I just take her to the shop? I'm gonna clean her up and see what happens tomorrow. I'll post my findings. Also, I have a sub in the trunk, if the alt died and the sub hit, wouldn't that kill the car faster?

Thanks everybody for the help thus far.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:00 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Is there any reason why you have not verified that the timing belt is on right?

You have half a dozen people telling you the belt is bad. There are several write-up and bet timing in the tech section. Why not take half an hour and verify timing?

Your belt is broken. It wasn't changed in time, and some teeth have stripped off the belt.

Let me know if/when you need a new head. I have one I will sell cheap.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, yeah- if you have no idea when the timing belt was done...I'm gonna say you're in trouble. One of the things you need to do whenever you buy an interference engine, is to verify that the belt was changed or plan on changing it right away. The belt on these cars should generally be changed every 75,000 so even if the owners kept to that schedule you are about due for the third change. Some people go 90K, but that's a bit of a push.

You need to go to the tech section and verify timing on the engine. IF it is not horribly off, then a compression test may be in order, which involves getting a compression tester, unscrewing the spark plugs and screwing the tester into each of the spark plug holes one at a time while someone cranks the engine. You should pull the fuse for the fuel pump while you do this also- so the engine won't start.

If your timing is horribly off, a leakdown test is more in order - since a compression test can cause more damage if the timing is off because you'll be cranking the engine over causing more collissions.

If the timing is off, you are probably going to want to take 4D4 up on his offer for a cheap head. Removing and replacing the head, IMO, is the easiest way to correct this problem.

Like I said, we see this all the time - people don't want to believe they've toasted their engine so they don't take the steps necessary to diagnose. You are only delaying the inevitable. Check the timing!!!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She's goin in to the shop. I figure $80 is worth paying to save a bunch, even if I'm gonna have to part her. Found a cylinder head in Stamford for $300 but not sure what shape it's in.

What kind of shape is yours in 4D4? You said Glastonbury? Wonder how much it would cost to ship.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I'd sell my head for $250, but you'd have to come get it. Not worth the trouble or cost to ship to Stamford.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wolaila
i know a tool:
and that tool keeps spamming