A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 Back Seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2000, 06:45 AM
frank

Default A4 Back Seat

Keep this topic clean, aw right?

My wife and I are looking for a wagon as a family vehicle. The A6 is too rich for our budget, and we like the handling of the A4 Avant over the Passat wagon. Anyone have real world experiences with the size of the back seat? This is our major concern. Love the car, though. We would need to be putting big adults in the back on a regular basis for short and long rides (not huge, but not petite, say 6' to 6'2"males). Front seats proved just great.
Old 02-17-2000, 06:53 AM
James V. Reagan

Default There's a back seat in the A4?

Mine just came with a cool leather shelf...

Seriously, my wife and I consider our A4 (regular, not Avant, so take my two cents with a grain of salt) a two seater. If we ever need to transport other people, we definitely take our other car.

A lot depends on how far back the front seats are. For me, putting the front seat far enough up for someone to be comfortable in the back makes it almost impossible to drive. It's doable, but I certainly wouldn't do it on long trips.

YMMV. I would suggest riding in the back on a test drive and see how you like it.
Old 02-17-2000, 06:55 AM
CP

The seat in my A4 sedan has less legroom than my 87 GTI. Even the dog complains!
Old 02-17-2000, 06:57 AM
Dan F.

Honestly, if you
Old 02-17-2000, 06:59 AM
ChrisR

Really man..there IS no back seat
Old 02-17-2000, 07:03 AM
Dan F.

Default @#%$&@! Take two ...

Honestly, if I were going to be putting 6'2" in the back for long trips on a regular basis, I would not get the A4.

It's a great car, but back seat space is not one of its scintillating virtues.

If you want a larger sporty car in the same price range and are willing to take a non-wagon, I would consider the 300M or maybe the Acura TL.(Okay everyone, flame away now.

If you really want a wagon, you're probably stuck with the Passat/Accord/Camry segment
for the price. For the record, the Camry wagon is probably one of the ugliest vehicles on the road.

Hey, here's a thought: if you'd compromise with a *hatchback*, look at Saab.

Dan
Old 02-17-2000, 07:06 AM
Peter Brennan

Default As a fellow Avant Owner

I'd say for your requirements the Passat is a better option. The back seat of the A4 Avant for passengers is not really ideal-it will suffice for short hauls. I think the major issue here is the lack of leg room for rear seat passengers for an extended period. Further, the seats are very firm which can be a plus or minus, depending on each passengers' individual tastes.

Just my $0.02
HTH,

Peter
Old 02-17-2000, 07:15 AM
Wife drives A6, I assumed would be the same (dumb)

Do NOT have NEWBORNS in this car! The stupid rear facing seats do NOT fit.
Old 02-17-2000, 07:21 AM
RickM

Default How about an A6 Avant coming off a 2 year lease? Or are you stuck on buying new?

Really, consider: Most of the A6 wagons out there are mom-mobiles, they've never been driven hard, and they've received regular service. Get a '98 coming off a 2 year lease and you get the 30v 2.8 and all the goodies for roughly the price of a new 2.8 A4 Avant. And if performance and what in '98 was the "new look" of the A6 isn't a big concern, you could actually save money by going for a '97 (still a great looking wagon, IMO). The backseats and rear legroom in the A6 are REAL NICE.

Rick
Old 02-17-2000, 07:27 AM
Jewel

Default Re: Do NOT have NEWBORNS in this car! The stupid rear facing seats do NOT fit.

I have A4 and my little one's rear facing carseat fits just fine. I don't know if wagon seats are different tho........

Quick Reply: A4 Back Seat