A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Is the A4 A keeper !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-1999, 09:36 PM
JETPILOT

Default Is the A4 A keeper !!

I was wondering what peoples long term plans are for there A4. I bought my car outright and plan to keep it for 7-10 years. I have had it 2 already and it is the best car I have ever owned. It's the only car I've had that I'm not tired of yet. I've got 30,000 miles and it's still solid. No ratles. It seems to be built for the long haul. It would seem stupid to me to get rid of it in less than 7 years. Financally speaking. With proper maintenance airliners can last for 40+ years. Why not a car. Is it because of our vanity. We need to be driving the latest vehicle. If the car starts looking raty just replace the offending peices. Maybe completely rebuild the interior with Connoly leather, put in new carpeting. New head liner,door seals. etc. The cost of doing improvements will be less than the tax, and initial depreciation on a new car. I plan on modifying the car further as I aquire the funds to do it. By the time I go to sell it the car will be prime. <p>Or is it better to get the equity out of the car in lets say 5 years and re-invest it in a new car, and take the initial depreciation hit and tax.<p>
Old 05-22-1999, 03:51 AM
Gordon Martin

Default I want 13 years min.

My 1988 Toyota Tercel is 11 years old and it doesn't have galvanized body panels working in its favor. It does have some rust and I am definately tired of it - time for it to go (see my add in the Auto Trader).<p>My 1988 Dodge Caravan is 11 years old and has lots of life left - no visible rust.<p>I have seen a couple of 1987 or so Audi 5000's that look pristene (sp).<p>I see no reason for the A4 to last at least that long. I picked this car because of the great technology under the hood - sure the cup holderrs may change, but the core technologies will not change that dramatically...<p>I may get tired of it before the 13 years are up, or I may want to trade it for a used S4 someday - but otherwise I expect this beast to 'keep on truckin'....<p>
Old 05-22-1999, 04:39 AM
Bill Shaffer(SLUGPILOT)

Default Keep it until you get that 7 year itch

I feel the same way as you to some extent. I've replaced my center armrest cover (96 63k), and plan on calling Clair soon about door inserts. I will probably drive this car 6-9 years. I could go on about how wise this is, and how much sense it makes, except I had the same plan going on my last car until I saw the first Autoweek pictures of a German 95 A4. Once I saw it in the flesh it was all over.<p>Bill Shaffer
Old 05-22-1999, 05:28 AM
MarkG

Default Depends on reliability of your A4

I'll keep it until it starts to give me trouble and I have to worry about long road trips. I still have my previous car and it has 140k on it. It started to have normal wear problems here and there and I didn't want the hassle of taking it into the shop and being without a car.<p>Mark (98.5 2.8 QMS)
Old 05-22-1999, 07:16 AM
BDW

Default Re: Is the A4 A keeper !!

<br>It is always financially prudent to keep a car as long as possible, as long as maintenance costs don't get out of hand. Even when you encounter the things that will happen in the 7-9 year range, it will still be much cheaper than buying new. Insurance costs go down, licensing costs go down (in many states).<p>Personally, my oldest boy is 8 years old and I fully intend my '99 1.8Tqms to be his first car. That's why I'm going to get a socketed chip ... so I can switch back to stock when I give it to him! And then, it'll be an S4 for ole dad. Yippeeee!<p>BDW
Old 05-22-1999, 07:32 AM
Jeff C

Default Planning 12+ years

I kept my prior car just over 13 years - Mazda 626. It was not NEARLY the quality car that the A4 is, and it went over 130K miles before I sold it. My 97 2.8QM only has just over 16K on it so far, so I dont anticipate mileage to be a problem, but even if it were high, Im a strong beleiver in staying on top of the maintenance.<p>The only slight worry I have is the potential expense of late life drive train repairs - and that only because of the rep of the early quattro's. <p>If I had not planned on keeping this car for a long time, I would have leased it...
Old 05-22-1999, 07:34 AM
Gordon Martin

Default Now that's planning!

(nt)
Old 05-22-1999, 07:41 AM
Mark

Default Anyone know the costs of usual parts and repair?

<br>Timming Belt? - 60,000 miles<br>Clutch? - 80,000 - 100,000 miles<br>Brakes?<br>shocks?<br>Muffler?<br>Altenat or?<br>Belts & Hoses?<br>ETC????
Old 05-22-1999, 10:28 AM
IronMike

I need my A4 for at least 12 more years until I finish med school, training, etc. Is it unwise to chip then?
Old 05-22-1999, 12:08 PM
Gordon Martin

Default Chip should be fine if you take care of your engine and listen for warning signs

(nt)

Quick Reply: Is the A4 A keeper !!