A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 and Passat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-1999, 01:32 PM
Trevor

Default A4 and Passat?

I am a "newbee" to this group but have a question. I keep hearing that the Passat and A4 are on the same "platform" and that I should save my money and just get a passat. What gives? Is this true? I have heard about this All Wheel Drive Jetta coming out, is this a good car and cheaper than the A4? I really like the looks of the A4 but have a tough time justifying the cost. What about the 1.8T v.s 2.8 issue. I have heard the 1.8T has issues and is generally a weak engine unless modifications that compromise both the longevity and warranty are done. A fully loaded "2.8" is about $35K I think to the $23K or so a passat goes for? Anyone give me the lowdown? What gives? I like the A4 but from what I have heard all this seems to make sense. Is the A4 just a glorified Passat? This is not flame bait, just a naive consumer. Thanks!
Old 11-12-1999, 01:41 PM
TomF

Default Re: A4 and Passat?

If you want quattro, then there is no choice right now. And when you compare prices, make sure your not comparing a quattro A4 (extra $1750) with a FWD Passat.

In my opinion:

A4 advantages:
-better handling (specially with sport package)
-better looking
-quattro availability
-more expensive looking inside
-3 years free maintenance (VW doesn't have this... do they?)
-no plastic wheelcovers available

Passat advantages:
-cost (especially in the V6 version)
-space
-powertrain warrantee is 10 years (nice)

In the end... your test drives should decide.

Tom
1.8TQMS Silver/Ecru
Old 11-12-1999, 01:46 PM
DaveL

Default Nothing beats personal experience...get thee to the dealers and try them both out yourself.

IMO, A4 is not a glorified Passat.
The difference is best determined not with words but with your senses. Be sure you compare models with the same engine.

BTW...the VW Golf/Beetle and Audi TT are also on the same "platform" but I wouldn't equate them.
Old 11-12-1999, 01:53 PM
Bill

Don't waste your time with the 1.8T, get the Passat 2.8. V6 smoothness baby...
Old 11-12-1999, 01:54 PM
Trevor

Default Re: Nothing beats personal experience...get thee to the dealers and try them both out yourself.

Like I said, I dont know much about them. The Bettle and the TT I would not consider on the same level, but yet when you see them on the road you automatically consider them in the same "class" because of their radical styling.
Old 11-12-1999, 01:57 PM
Trevor

Default Re: A4 and Passat?

Yeah, owning a VR6 GTI before showed me just how important that warranty really is!!! I really like they styling, but were talking $10K here, is it really worth it?
Old 11-12-1999, 02:03 PM
Mike

Default I drove them both...you should do the same..

It is not the same car.....i repeat.... It is not the same car. Drive them yourself and you will see the light. As far as the 1.8T -vs- 2.8(no T, ouch), it depends what you want to do and how serious you drive.

Did I mention that it is not the same car?
Old 11-12-1999, 02:08 PM
Bob

"No T ouch"... What is that about? Not every car needs a T to be cool. No thanks "bolt on crap"...
Old 11-12-1999, 02:11 PM
Tony

Default From a practical and $ value perspective get the Passat, for more sporty/style/"prestige"get the A4.

nt
Old 11-12-1999, 02:46 PM
Stephen in Tucson

Re: 3 year 50000mile Audi warranty, 2 year 24,000 VW warranty

Quick Reply: A4 and Passat?