A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 sold as new is demo

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-1999, 07:15 PM
Lunare

Default A4 sold as new is demo

The 'service insp.' light on my early 99 A4,purchased as new 3 months ago, came on a few weeks ago-the Audi service dept. told me it was a computer error, but when I investigated, the head office of Audi says it was registered as a dealer demo 6 months ago. I was told by the salesperson that it was a new car, the sales slip says it is new.I got a good price, not great, appropriate perhaps for an early 99 considering that the dealer had a back lot full of late 99s, but way too high for a demo. What's my next move-I am not happy with this deception. Rather than pay that much for a demo, I certainly would have bought a late 99 or even waited for a 2000.
Old 11-29-1999, 08:16 PM
Stu S.

Default Verify dem status - how many miles? - and sue for fraud.

nt
Old 11-29-1999, 08:58 PM
Ouch

Default A car is new until it is "titled" to an owner...

The car was never "titled" to an individual, so, technically, the car is still "new" - regardless of mileage. However, it should have been sold as a demo model or dealer loaner.

I would attain all information possible and approach the dealership owner/mgmt. If all else fails, ask an attorney what legal recourse you may have. There should have been a modest discount on the car.

I'm not too sure if you could "sue for fraud" since the car is technically new. The dealer did not sell you a used car. Now, the dealership may suffer a tremendous amount of negative goodwill if the problem isn't resolved. That, my friend, is the power of an upset customer and word of mouth.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-1999, 03:59 AM
Another Drew

I believe any car whether demo'ed or not can be sold as "new" if it has less than 500 miles
Old 11-30-1999, 04:08 AM
J.Russ

Default Nope. I believe that a car IS new until it's been titled. Silly, yes, but that's the law.

I test drove a dealer-owned S4 recently with 800 miles on the odo that was for sale as a new vehicle. The negatives: Lots of miles from previous test drivers who no doubt thrashed the engine. The positives: A good discount off MSRP, full new-car warranty, lease availability and lower financing rates.
Old 11-30-1999, 04:32 AM
Peter Brennan

I think the car (demo) can be considered new until 7000 miles, then it must be sold as used.
Old 11-30-1999, 05:12 AM
jim i wnys

I agree. My father buys a "new" "program" Cadillac every year with 3-4000 mi.
Old 11-30-1999, 05:54 AM
Another Drew

Default Hmmm. In MD, I'm pretty sure it's the "500 miles."

It must be different in other states. I just assumed other states were the same. Pretty silly if a dealer can use a car for 150,000 miles and turn around and sell it as new or at least advertise they have a "NEW" fully loaded A4 for only $14,000.

I wouldn't care how many people the NEW car has been titled to as long as it has less than 50 miles at delivery.

Drew
Old 11-30-1999, 06:50 AM
JSC

Default What is the mileage? Did you ask questions if mileage was high? No fraud I can see [m]

Aren't you on notice from the mileage that the car has had use? Are you saying they rolled back the odometer? There appears to be absolutely no fraud here on the facts you describe.

If the car had anything more than 50-100 miles, I'd say you were on notice to ask about the usage it had... anything more than that and I'd want to know. I did buy a "new" car once in MD that had more than 500 miles and the purchase order was checked "new" and "demo", but it was titled as new with full warranty.

Something's missing in your story. What was the mileage and did you ask questions to pin down the mileage and use?
Old 11-30-1999, 06:52 AM
JSC

Default What fraud? If never titled, it's "new", and unless the odo was rolled back, there's no fraud...

Assuming one can read there's an odometer reading to put one on notice of actual miles driven, and a build date sticker on the car.

No fraud here from what I can see.

Quick Reply: A4 sold as new is demo