A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 test drive impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-1998, 08:50 AM
Patrick C

Default A4 test drive impressions

I took a 1.8tqm with sports package for a test drive the other day.<br>I currently own a 1994 integra rs and now after 5 years and a better income I thought it was time to get a sports sedan with some prestiege, luxury and performance. I think that this is a wonderful forum and I have been following the discussions over the last few months. Other cars on I have tested include the Acura3.2TL, Accord EX manual, and Passat. After doing my homework, I finally went for a drive.<br>This is a car that certainly catches the eye. The front end is stocky and aggressive giving the impression of power yet the smooth lines suggest refinement and grace. The large prominent wheels accent the car nicely giving the overall impression of a drivers car.<br>Inside, the styling was exquisite. The large round Tach and speedometer were to my liking. The dash and interior were very "European" - simple but elegant. I loved the big fat steering wheel! <br>Driving the car, to sum it up in one word, it was SOLID. I certainly felt connected to the road and the car felt confident during lane changes and off ramps. The intrusion noise was minimal, a little disconcerting because I couldn't hear the engine revs very well, but I am sure I could get used to it.<br>The one very significant criticism I have of this car relates to its engine. I was surprised to find this car underpowered. With hard acceleration, I would take the car all the way to the redline and then have to shift without ever getting the large burst of power that I was waiting for. I know that the engine has alot of torque on the low end and I may just be used to my Integra's high revving Honda engine, but this car doesn't inspire much confidence when passing on the highway. This is very important because I live in a part of Canada where some of the highways have two way traffic which means that you may have only 10-15 seconds to pass someone at highway speed before getting flattened by an oncoming tractor trailer. My other criticism is the soft, high pitched whistle the turbo makes with acceleration. This noise isn't in "concert" with the rest of the engine and I think it sounds out of place.<br>I'm desperate to try a 1.8t chipped and I wonder how much difference it would make. <br>Having said all this, I dragged my wife out to try this car and she loved it - but she doesn't drive quite the same as I do. There is a very good chance that we will get the car anyway, chip it, and see what happens.
Old 12-19-1998, 10:29 AM
J.Russ

Default As a former Integra GS-R driver...

... I know what you mean by the lack of grunt in a new Aud. My 2.8 Avant felt like it was lubricated with oatmeal after I took delivery of it. This was particularly pronounced to me after four years of redlining my old '94 Integra GS-R sedan. BUT...<p>Audi engines (and VW engines in general) are *very* tight when brand new. It takes about 1,000 to 4,000 miles for them to really loosen up. After that, you'll forget what you were complaining about. <p>J.Russ<br>98.5 Avant qMS (sadly not available in the frozen north)
Old 12-19-1998, 01:29 PM
steve moyle

Re: JRuss, I used to have the same exact GSR..
Old 12-19-1998, 02:02 PM
DwayneC

Default Tricky to compare feel of Audi and Acura engines...

Seat of the pants feeling for an egine is far from a complete picture.<p>I own a 94 Audi S4 (making about 290-300 hp and about 310 lb-ft) and a 89 Acura Legend Coupe (making about 170 hp and 170 lb-ft).<p>My S4 is very fast (0-60 comes in at about 5.5). But the Legend often feels faster. First the Acura engine is loud. This makes you feel like you are accelerating faster than you really are. Second, the Acura torque curve is very peaky, which gives the feeling of more and more power. With the Audi you feel a constant pressure of your back into the seat.<p>The stock 1.8T isn't a barn burner out of the box. But that's nothing that a few $ for a chip won't fix.<p>Take the plunge and enjoy the ride.<br>DC
Old 12-19-1998, 11:59 PM
vic

Default I agree...

There are very different. Honda's engine are always peaky whereas German engine nowadays are emphasising on flat torque curve throughout the rev range (that's true even for the new range of BMW engines). I persinally think this is more user friendly than a peaky one as I do a lot of city driving. So I guess the type of engine you like will suit you type of driving.