A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Is an A4 tiptronic fun to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 06:29 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default You give up a little, but not all control...

in Tip mode, it does what you tell it to, when you tell it to. It does take a little time for the shift sometimes, but no longer than taking a relaxed shift in a manual car.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:37 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's not necessarily just the speed of the shift...

The tip chip addresses that. It's the time between the motion in the lever, and the time the shift is actually executed. It leaves the driver trying to anticipate the delay in the trans. Over and above that, you do give up a level of control over the type of shift. Driving a manual, the clutch pedal allows you a lazy and smooth shift up to quick crisp snick-snick-snick shifts. You drive how you want when you want. Anytime a computer is trying to guess what you've about to do, based on some predetermined profile, you're going to give up some level of control.

I've had loaners from my dealer with tip, and invariably, after 10 minutes of messing with the tiptronic, I'll find myself uninspired, and I'll throw the car into automatic and forget about "the driving experience". At that point, it's all about getting to the office, and nothing more.

I suspect many manual owners would have an equally hard time switching to tiptronic. If needs dictate that it must be done, that's one thing. However if the decision is made because that's the car that was available at the time of purchase, I suspect the owner would come to regret that decision.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:48 AM
Head Cat Herder

Default I went from years of manuals to a Tip, did not really have a hard time adjusting...

the hardest thing was not stabbing for the clutch when coming to a stop... :-)

It's really a personal preference, in my case, there is no option for a manual in the A6 Avant, so it's a moot point. I am not emphatic about it any more (there was a time when I would NOT have an automatic, no matter what) so it doesn't matter.

The other thing about tips, since the overall ratios are longer, you dont' really shift as often as with a manual.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not to change the intentions of this thread, but Kris, any coments on my thread . . .

from yesterday afternoon about hard shifting. I feel like my transmission is slamming into gear every once in a while. Blue Dog recommended a Tranny flush. any comments as a tiptronic guru?<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2199151.phtml">link to yesterday</a></li></ul>
Old 11-11-2004, 07:09 AM
Head Cat Herder

I am far from a guru on the tip, but I answered you on that thread..
Old 11-11-2004, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I hardly ever use the steering wheel "paddles" when I'm in tip mode.

The convenience of an auto in bumper-to-bumper traffic made this a no brainer for me; that and the fact that the woman can't/won't drive a manual.

My only beef with the tip/auto is that when you're in auto mode and coming to a complete stop, the tranny kicks down from 2nd to 1st at the last second before the full stop, which makes the breaking feel like a suburban housewife stomping on the brake. It's really difficult to modulate the full stop to make it feel smooth, due to the late kickdown.

Keep an eye out for it, when you go test drive.

de
Old 11-11-2004, 08:11 AM

Default I went from tip to 5spd and I have to disagree.

Even while on the highway there is no comparison. The manual is 10x the fun and "experience." Tip is a nifty toy...for a little while.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:17 AM
Head Cat Herder

Default Was that 5 speed your first 5 speed?? I am totally over the 'fun' aspect of shifting...

either manually, or tip/auto. I guess I don't really care how the car changes gears any more. I remember about 10 years ago, I had the chance to buy a 928S4, but it was an Auto.. I didn't even want to drive it, but the owner of the shop was like, just drive the damn thing. Needless to say, that thing was really fast, auto or not. That was the end of my hatred of automatics.

Autos can be just as fast, if not faster than manuals. If you feel the need to shift, great for you. Personally, I dont' care any more. I am just as happy in either.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Head Cat Herder

Default I hardly even use tip mode. But, it's nice to have when I want it...

like carving up the road to my house, or holding gears for passing,etc...
Old 11-11-2004, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Having 4 manuals and 1 auto in our driveway, the manuals are definetely more kick to drive...

But the auto is just so practical for day to day driving. Hence the A4 and the TT just sit in the garage most of the time. On weekends, when a spirited drive is in order, we take them out.

However, when I swap cars with my brother or sisters (all tip including a '99 A4 2.8Qtip, '02 A4 1.8TQtip, '99 Passat 2.8 tip, or '04 Toureg 4.2 AWD tip) I don't miss the A4. Maybe because when I drive I tip on spirited drives, I make the most of it - like using tip mode and left foot braking while throttle on corners. 2 Weeks ago, I was demostrating how my Uncle can have fun with his V6 Toureg in tip mode in traffic and winding roads. He was surprised at how much fun it was compared to just putting it in Sport mode.

It's subjective but as long as I get a car with good handling and braking - even with no power, any tranny works for me. And I always 'torque match' via throttle control on an auto or tip - something I show people around to ease the loads on the bands. Plus it sounds like a manual

Having said that, we're trading in our Acura automatic to either a Passat TDI tip or B6 A4 1.8T Qtip either next month or earlier next year.

Quick Reply: Is an A4 tiptronic fun to drive?