A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 vs. BMW 328 suspensions - can you compare? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2000, 04:54 PM
Ira

Default A4 vs. BMW 328 suspensions - can you compare? (more)

I haven't been able to get a test drive yet of an A4 2.8 tiptronic (preferably with Quattro), but if anyone can compare the 2 A4 suspensions to the 2 BMW 3 suspensions (standard and sport) that would be helpful.

Frankly I'm looking for a softer feel than I've had in the past with my old '91 Honda Prelude (which has the road feel and perspective of a go-cart), and find even the standard BMW suspension too firm for my apparently aging taste. I'm looking for something that handles well but is somewhat "plusher" feeling.

Adding to the complication is a neck/back problem - I need to minimize bouncing and jostling from the road, and keep road vibration to a minimum. Most importantly I want to avoid keenly feeling every bump in the road, but at the same time I don't want to buy a Cadillac or Lincoln !

An Audi dealer suggested that the A4 sports suspension would be GOOD for my purposes, better than the standard suspension, especially in turns, as it would reduce the amount of leaning in curves. But it seems the performance tires and the 30% stiffer shocks should make the ride harder in general.

They call the A4 suspension "supple" but what exactly that means...

Anyway, if I don't get the sports suspension I'm going to get the sports steering wheel (for easy access to the tip controls, I have trouble shifting these days with my neck problems hence the need for the AT), and it seems the wheel alone is nearly half the cost of the whole sport package, so it isn't a question about money, just comfort.

I guess I'm looking for a compromise, since good road feel in general contradicts insulation from the, um, road feel, eh?

Thanks for your input!
Old 01-31-2000, 08:57 PM
alan t.

Default Ira, if I were you I would NOT get the sport suspension even though I bought one. The reason

I say this is because you will feel more of the road bumps and the ride is generally harder than in the non sport suspension. I love the sports suspension but It does get a little harsh sometimes when the road gets rough. The bimmer normal suspension is definitely softer than the Audi sport. You would not like the BMW sport suspension at all. For back problems I would suggest you try the Volvo S70 or S40. Boy does Volvo make great seats which I think are perfect for back problems. My back isn't perfect so I'm kinda tuned to this aspect of cars. But you really must drive the cars yourself to see how you like them.
Old 01-31-2000, 09:28 PM
Ira

Default You're right I didn't like bimmer sports at all (more)

Of these (A4 and BMW) the A4 regular suspension sounds like the best bet for me, but I'll look into Volvo too as per your suggestion. I believe Passat would be softer, but doesn't really have the finish and pizazz I lust for. (Heck you can't even get a factory installed in-dash CD with a Passat! That is so odd.)

Thanks.
I.
Old 01-31-2000, 11:55 PM
Greg B

Default I concur on the Volvo...

I rented a base S70 for a business trip from Sacramento to Monterey and drove it all day long. The seats are quite impressive, probably more supportive than all, including my Recaro's in my old GTI. Volvo has made some great strides in the past year, though torque steer is still a big issue.
Old 02-01-2000, 03:34 AM
Vince

Default Re: A4 vs. BMW 328 suspensions - can you compare? (more)

Just put my 15 inch snow tires & rims on my 2.8 A4 sport, running at 35 lbs F & R. I liked the way it softened the bump, new potholes etc from the 16's. It also took away some of the uncontrolled bounce that I dislike in the sport suspension. You may want to compare the reg wheel to the sport, the sport looks great. It is thicker & smaller which gives more feel as to what the road is like & also makes you need to be more sensitive in the way you use the wheel.

I just test drove the 328Ci & 323Ci with a friend. I know the 328 had the sport suspension & thought the 323 did also. I felt that the 328 had too much uncontrolled bounce, much like the A4 sport.

The 323Ci had the best suspension in my mind, the bounce was controlled like I would want on my A4 sport. It was superb & felt like a preying cat, very very nice. If you have already tried it, I would try it again.

I did not play around with tire pressures in those cars, but I am sure it makes a difference & would be nice to know if one was at 32 & the other at 28......

I think all the seats are comfortable & it is adjusting them over time. A sheepskin could soften the seats slightly by about 1/4" or so of natural material that is often used by bedridden patients.

Good luck & all are very nice cars, I would consider all of them (no flames please!)
Old 02-01-2000, 04:15 AM
Bonnie

Default Re: A4 vs. BMW 328 suspensions - can you compare? (more)

I have the A4 without the sports suspension, and it feels just fine to me. It is not harsh at all, absorbs road bumps without a peep, and has very little body lean around corners. I test drove the sports suspension before I purchased the car, and although I didn't feel much difference between sport and non-sport, the sport was slightly harsher, enough for me to discount buying it. I this the non-sport A4 is the perfect balance between road feel and comfort.

Bonnie
'00 QTX
Old 02-01-2000, 09:26 AM
Reg B.

Default FWIW, I disagree regarding the S70 Volvo (more/long)

FWIW, my wife had an S70 for a couple of years. While the seats are very comfortable and the ride very good on highways, in city driving situations (under about 40 mph) we found we could really feel ever crack and joint in the pavement. This is also criticism I've read in several reviews.

We now have a '00 A4 1.8TQTip with both sports seats/suspension. Over the same roads I find the A4 ride firm, but less harsh than the Volvo. The seats are very firm but supportive and comfortable. On the highway, the ride is firmer than the Volvo.

We also test drove the standard A4 seat/suspension combination. It was very comfortable and I feel offered a better ride than the S70. That's the combination that I feel you should check out, particularly if you try the 2.8 with their power seats (which I believe have a wider range of adjustment than the standard 1.8T).

Good luck!!

Reg B.
Old 02-01-2000, 12:50 PM
Ira

Thanks to all! Excellent advice, thanks for the personal observations, all very helpful. (nt)
Old 02-01-2000, 02:40 PM
alan t.

Default I drove the Passat and it has a very compliant ride and is a good value,. You can always get

a trunk mounted cd player. The Passat was fun to drive with more room but I didn't like the execessive body roll. Probably to some it's not that excessive but I was looking for flatter cornering and I found it in the A4 with sport suspension.