A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 vs. Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-1999, 03:21 PM
GaryJ

Default I also have both and Tom is right on the money

Both my 30Vqms and Selec-Trac JGC are wearing all-season tires (both with snow tires would be a different comparison, but I imagine the Jeep would still edge the Audi). With this past winter in the Pacific Northwest being the biggest snow season EVER, and me being a snowboarding adict, they both got a lot of use. The Jeep gives you a better feel of security while driving: you just put it in D and point it in the right direction. The Audi wants more driven attention and throttle input during turns.

I can't really compare the two when the conditions get really bad, because the Audi stays in bed: it is a sports sedan after all and can't truly be driven the way its supposed to be in more than a few inches of the white stuff. Nothing slows the Jeep down - it's why we own it.

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of ownership of a JGC, it is at the top of its class, which isn't hard because nothing else is in its class. When the Audi is paid off in the Spring, the 96 JGC will be traded in for a 99/00 4.7 Quadra-Drive.

GaryJ
98.5 30Vqms
96 JGC "All Condition Gear"
Old 08-12-1999, 03:25 PM
ChuckH

Default A series of 360's and a guardrail encounter with my...

...(don't laugh!) '91, Mitsu "bitchi" "not so" mighty max with sand bags on black ice prove your point. However, weight balance has more to do with it than overall weight, but overall weight is always helpful too!

Charles
PS: Thank god I only kept that heap for a year!
Old 08-12-1999, 03:27 PM
MitchC

Default Yup, V8 Jeep is fast but avg 10mpg and w/ no turning ability..

Hey...It's a friggin truck with a big pig engine and SUV (cough, cough) handling.
Old 08-12-1999, 03:29 PM
ChuckH

Default BTW, my neighbors have a '95 Laredo...

...V8 that has 150K miles on it (it gets driven a lot!). Only two things have been replaced (besides normal things like brakes, tires, etc). At around 70K, the fuel pump went, and at around 100K, the CD player crapped out. Not bad!

Charles
Old 08-12-1999, 03:32 PM
MitchC

Default But Will, you're not supposed to be doing 131mph :-)

You sure it wasn't the speed limiter stopping fuel flow?
Old 08-12-1999, 03:33 PM
GaryJ

Default Let me take you for a JGC--ride and the last thing you'll call it is boring.

And the soccer moms we see here in Seattle drive SUV's because they have to carry their mountian bikes, kayaks, climbing gear, skis, and windsurfers.

However, I gotta admit, if you made me choose between the two, I'd give up the JGC and some of the nearly unreachable places we like to go for a sunny summer day in the twisties with my 30V.

Gary
Old 08-12-1999, 03:58 PM
Tom

Default Conclusion from someone wrote the buyer's guide....

The conclusion on A4 vs Jeep Grand Cherokee debate are the following:
1) If you want to go off-roading, go with the JGC with low-range gearset and superb off-road capability with the Quadra Trac system
2) If you want exceptional Teutonic handling, get the A4. A JGC handles well, like a truck
3) Since we don't have A4 Avant here in Canada, I would say if you want lots of trunk space to haul your stuffs to ski, get the JGC. IMHO, my sedan is large enough to haul thing around.
4) The rear seats area is way better in the JGC than the A4
5) Stock 4.7liter V8 will blow the A4 1.8T and 2.8 away in a straightway, but when your A4 has PES supercharge, K04 and chips. You know the answers.....
6) A4 should always been more reliable than the Jeep, just look at the Consumer Reports ratings. JGC gets poor while A4 gets better than average
7) IMHO, the biggest improvements of the new JGC over the original one is the spare tire finally underneath the trunk and no more numb steering feel
8) A4 has wa better fuel economy than the JGC or any SUV. I can't say anything if you brought some oil stocks!#@
Tom
97 A4 1.8TQMS
99 JETTA IV GLS 2.0
Old 08-12-1999, 04:14 PM
Lbau

Default I have them both too, plus a Wrangler...

the Grand is a V8 with full time 4WD. It is best in the snow out of all three. A41.8QM hardly sees snow but it is almost as good, much better than a BMW. I love the look on their faces when you pull away from them. 8)-
Old 08-12-1999, 04:36 PM
Gordon Martin

Default I've never been a Chrysler fan, but I am glad someone is finally advancing SUV's

Gordon Martin
98.5 2.8QMS (Santorin Blue)
Old 08-12-1999, 05:27 PM
Will Allen

Hmmm..couldda been cuz I was off in the woods, I suppose...

Quick Reply: A4 vs. Grand Cherokee