A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 vs. Passat and 323

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-1999, 05:45 AM
Joe C

Default A4 vs. Passat and 323

I am currently considering three cars: the A4(2.8 Quattro), the Passat V6GLS, and the BMW 323i. I am interested in what makes the A4 the car to buy versus the other two I am considering. Th VW is less expensive and appears to share many of the same parts although it is FWD. The BMW is a fantastic driving car, somewhat under powered, but appears to have a better resale.

You comments are appreciated.
Old 12-02-1999, 06:35 AM
Rodney

Default That's a pretty wide price range

I looked at all three of these cars, less so the A4 2.8 as it was out of my price range. Even with its smaller engine the A4 1.8T won out though.

Passat Pros: Reasonable price, probably the roomiest of the three
Cons: FWD (<---personal bias), soft suspension...not very good handling, and worst interior fit and finish (this is relative, the Passat is VERY nice, the other two are just better)

323i Pros: Great handling and steering feel, RWD (<---personal bias), sweet inline six (though not as powerful as the 2.8 30v), pedals set up for heel-toe shifting
Cons: Didn't care for BMW's interior and exterior, harsher ride

A4 Pros: AWD (even better than RWD), near perfect balance between ride comfort and handling, interior AND exterior styling AND fit and finish, easy car to drive well
Cons: Steering feel not quite as good as the Bimmer, pedals not setup for heel-toe shifting, SOME dealers not very good (mine was excellent)

The Passat isn't as much fun to drive as the other two, BUT it is less expensive. The A4 is a very easy car to drive well, it really inspires confidence. As an example I was at an autocross instruction day, when in the car with me instructors would be telling me to be smoother and correcting other things they saw me doing, from outside the car they thought I was doing great even though I was still making some of the same mistakes I had been making with them in the car. The moral of the story, the A4 covers for you when you're not at your best.

If money is a factor the Passat might be a good choice, otherwise drive the 323i and A4 2.8 back to back and go with what you prefer.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 12-02-1999, 06:48 AM
Monkeyboy

Default Resources to help you

Car and Driver 04/99 matched up the 323i and the A4 1.8.
Do a search at their site for A4, I think they also had some matchups between the 2.8 and 328. With these articles you should get some 'review' material on the 2.8 and 323 cars.
http://www.caranddriver.com

Hope these help give you some more insights.
I agree with Rodney though, you need to determine your goals and drive all of your choices.
Old 12-02-1999, 07:16 AM
ErikR

LOL, has this ever been discussed? Maybe a test drive could help?
Old 12-02-1999, 07:54 AM
Ken L

Default Re: A4 vs. Passat and 323

I recently bought an A4 1.8T and last week drove my friend's brand new Passat. Although the Passat was nice, compared to the A4 it's bigger, feels heavier, the suspension is much softer, and the steering is not nearly as precise. I have the sport package on my A4 which I'm sure makes a big difference.

The A4 and Passat might share some parts but they definitely aren't similar cars.

Ken
Old 12-02-1999, 08:18 AM
John Ireland

The 323 and A4 will both need sport package to make them really good drivers. The A4 w/ quattro will be the most fun...but on a track, the BMW's bigger (and better) brakes will make their presence known after about three or four laps. The Quattro helps the slightly too soft Audi version of a sport package...the BMW is perfectly balanced and needs no apologies. If you aren't going to drive hard and fast, and money is an issue, get the Passat...if you're going to time trial and use it as a daily driver, get the BMW...if want something inbetween and have winter snow as well...get the Audi.
Old 12-02-1999, 08:49 AM
FrancisK

Default Almost in an accident this morning... Quattro save my life and itself

This morning, I am driving on the highway about 65 mph.. or more. Then I want to change to the left lane, and I've check the mirror. There is no car there. But I don't know why, when my car accross the middle lane, I found that there is a car on the left lane. Then I turn back to right immediately, may be I turn too much and too fast. The car is waving left and right... I think I am Lucky, if I am in a FWD or RWD car, I don't think the car will be balance... And also there are cars in front and behind of my car... so I can't make any mistakes... I am still shock about the things happen this morning

Francis
98.5 2.8QTipS
Old 12-02-1999, 08:52 AM
Bonnie

I just answered a similar question a few responses above this, but here goes.... These were really my final contestants on my long road to buying a new car. I test drove the Passat first and really liked it. Made my ex Japanese counterparts look like appliances. There are two people in my office who own A4's, and they urged me to test drive one. After only sitting in the A4, the Passat was eliminated. The interior was head and shoulders above the Passat, and since the back seat room was not an issue (we have a Jeep Grand Cherokee for that), I wanted something that would be easy to drive, yet fun and safe as well.

I test drove the BMW 323 immediately after that, and was very disappointed. It's not that it wasn't a nice car, but it didn't consume me as far as the ride, interior and lack of quattro was concerned. I then tested the A4 again (this time I drove both the 1.8 and 2.8). When I measured the price of a 323 fully loaded against the A4 2.8 fully loaded, it was a no brainer. The exemplary fit and finish of the A4, the classiness, along with the ease and fun of driving it, plus the utility of the quattro won out, no questions asked. Also, I felt that the 323 (if I really wanted it), would have been more of a target for thieves and joy riders, etc.

I have not regretted my decision for a minute, and would buy another A4 tomorrow if this one was no longer a part of my life for whatever reasons.......
Old 12-02-1999, 09:11 AM
are you saying?

No offense but what the hell
Old 12-02-1999, 09:44 AM
MJD

Default Lighten up, Francis. But seriously, Quattro's real advantage is in rain & snow, not...

necessarily dry pavement, except when powering through a corner.

My $0.02

Quick Reply: A4 vs. Passat and 323