A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4Q Rear Brake Calipers/Pad Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-1999, 01:57 PM
Michael

Default A4Q Rear Brake Calipers/Pad Replacement

Any one tried retracting the rear caliper? I've tried<br>turning the piston clockwise numerous times, it turns but does not retract. Is there a special tool or trick to it?<br>
Old 02-06-1999, 02:21 PM
Insider

Default Re: A4Q Rear Brake Calipers/Pad Replacement

Any calipur tool will do the job. If not available turn and push in at the same time
Old 02-06-1999, 04:18 PM
Andy Hedin

Just did this last weekend on my '97 A4 w/30,000 miles. I picked up a tool made by Lisle at Pep Boys for $10 and on the face with four "nubs" I removed two of them with a Dremel tool. The remaining two nubs fit perfectly on the piston face. Turn and push, HARD on the piston. I turned and turned and turned some more and the d@mn thing would not budge. A bit of pressure from a c-clamp and then back to the tool and then back to the c-clamp seemed to do the trick for me.<p>Andy Hedin
Old 02-06-1999, 09:30 PM
Ray Calvo

READ THE D**N FORUMS; This has come up before
Old 02-06-1999, 09:38 PM
Ray Calvo

Meant to say READ THE D**N ARCHIVES
Old 02-07-1999, 04:11 AM
audi tech.

you can buy the audi tool at your local audi dealer
Old 02-07-1999, 05:28 AM
Steve S.

Look guys...another audi tech besides Steve Shupe...
Old 02-07-1999, 07:49 AM
JonC

Can you give us the Part No. or approx. price, or both, please? thx.
Old 02-07-1999, 05:09 PM
Miles

Default How about a little civility?

Ray,<p>I don't think it's appropriate to respond so rudely to anyone on this forum who asks a question, even if it might be in the archives. I've seen you refer before to people asking "stupid questions" and was bothered by it then, but didn't say anything.<br>I often refer people to the archives if I know then answer to their question is there. However, I think there is a right way to do that and a wrong way, and you consistently pick the wrong way.<br>If you or others think I'm out of line, I apologize, but this whole forum has been a little out of control lately, and responses like your to this question don't help.<p>Miles
Old 02-07-1999, 07:12 PM
Ray Calvo

Default Re: How about a little civility?

Miles, if I have a question, I'll research it first in the archives. If I can't find what I need, or I need supplemental info, then I post. Just my contribution to try to keep this list size under reasonable size. <p>When someone posts a question that was OBVIOUSLY answered within a few days, it shows a lack of ability to read the directions on the home page of checking archives befoe posting, or else laziness, or both. Way I see it.<p>By the way, I include an E-mail address in case somebody wants to address thing to me personally - like your comments. Feel that might be better than further cluttering this list, which you are forcing me to do.<p>I find this list to be extremely valuable for assistance and technical info, but the sheer volume of it - with about 75% of it to me beingabsolute BS - is defeating its purpose for me. When takes about 45 min a day to weed thru this junk to find some potentially useful info, or help someone with a legitimate problem, I have no patience with lazy/illiterate posters.<p>I now release control of the soapbox to you.<br>

Quick Reply: A4Q Rear Brake Calipers/Pad Replacement