A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Accessory belt tensioner - coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessory belt tensioner - coolant leak?

Whale oil beef hooked!

Accessory belt tensioner seized up on me, belt fell of, burnt a scar in the timing belt housing, and jammed in the generator. No power at engine, requiring a tow to port. Belt never broke though. I haul out the front end, remove the tensioner, and confirm no damage to timing belt, or any other componebt, except for rubber debris all over the place. Order the parts I figure I need, and I dump the oil so I can attend to a pesky coolant drizzle from the oil cooler at the filter, and notice that a quart of red coolant flushes out of the oil pan before the oil.

Now I am totally freaked out. I cannot see the connection between the accessory belt failure and coolant on the combustion side. Any comments, please?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Definitely doesn't sound good. Im no expert but sounds like something internal. I don't think a seal could cause it but hard to say. Maybe an EXPERT will chime in.

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by quattrohacker
Whale oil beef hooked!

Accessory belt tensioner seized up on me, belt fell of, burnt a scar in the timing belt housing, and jammed in the generator. No power at engine, requiring a tow to port. Belt never broke though. I haul out the front end, remove the tensioner, and confirm no damage to timing belt, or any other componebt, except for rubber debris all over the place. Order the parts I figure I need, and I dump the oil so I can attend to a pesky coolant drizzle from the oil cooler at the filter, and notice that a quart of red coolant flushes out of the oil pan before the oil.

Now I am totally freaked out. I cannot see the connection between the accessory belt failure and coolant on the combustion side. Any comments, please?
Model info - 2.8Q, '99, MT, 150K miles.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Major issue. Do a leak down test before you do anything.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by quattrohacker
Whale oil beef hooked!

If your oil cooler is leaking coolant it is very plausible that you are getting coolant and oil mixed at your oil cooler. The oil cooler seals are known fault points in the system, you may be getting mixing there. I would replace the seals and do a leak down test just to be sure your head is okay.

A three dollar oil cooler seal may be your issue click here to check pricing for oil cooler seals.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 02-09-2010, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Pulled some codes from the ECU, and came up empty, except for 18010 - Power supply term 30 low voltage.
Others faults have to do with cylinder misfires, after generator stopped turning. No hi temps, or low pressures.

I hauled off the oil cooler last night, and the seal is def. toast, but I am wondering - Coincidence? I am hoping that after the engine shut down, oil press. reduced to zero, and the coolant just magically migrated to the sump.

Any further thoughts.

THX.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

I'd do the seal and start from there. If you were mixing that much coolant at your head, I would think you would notice how terrible compression would be.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 02-09-2010, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I looked at the seal/oil cooler, and the seal is on the oil side. I am afraid I will have to look deeper.