A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Acura Type-R,GSR vs Audi 1.8T chipped (real info first hand)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura Type-R,GSR vs Audi 1.8T chipped (real info first hand)

Ok there are those guys asking if a chipped 1.8T will beat a Type-R or a GSR well i just had a little run in with both of these cars.

I got of the 91 FWY going to the bank and i stopped on a light. on the intersection 2 integra's creeped up slow. it was a 3 lane street (Orangethorp) and it merges onto a bridge into a 2 lane about 1/8th of a mile down with the next light (carmenita) about 1/2 mile down. well... i was on the right most lane i am the idoit that needs to squeez in one lane to the left to fit on the 2 lane section. any who....

on my left there was this dropped GSR 4 door white had an exhaust probably an intake that thing was loud! and to his left is is buddies Type-R in yellow. now that thing is phat! love that color. the guy in the white car reved me up and was looking at me. i was on my cell phone and quiclky responded. i ended up ending my call and i gave the guy a thumbs up. after that i heard their engines rev up to probably mu guess is 2K rpm? the Type-R did the same. i didn't do any thing....
when the light went green i just simply smashed the happy "GO" pedal down and ease the clutch out. both integras burned rubber (my quattro can't do that) and we all took off. we were even on 1st gear. 2nd gear i noticed the GSR was loosing ground the type R and me were almost even he had a slight advantage. we all shifted into second and the GSR was about 1/4 of a car length behind. tyep-r and me are dead even. third gear came around and the GSR lagged. the Type-R started to loose ground about 1/4 of a car distance from me. then he cought up when he shifted to 4th. both acuras are on 4th gear i am still on 3rd. when i shifted to 4th i started to pull away. the GSR ended up to be 1 car length behind and the Type-R about 1/2 when my RPM's reached about 6K both cars were behind me. they shifted into 5th and started to catch up and i shifted as well but by then i was too far ahead.

they would not give up i could hear 2 motorcycle engines screaming behind me. my exhaust sounded like a whimp compared to their intake and exhaust. i brefily glimpsed on my speedometer and notice i was doing about 100 then i decided to cool off and slam on the brakes. i clearly beat them already so i slowed way down. BTW i got the lane i needed to fit on the bridge the GSR had no choice but to give me lane at that point.

To sum it up YES you can beat a type-r and GSR with a Chipped A4. the GSR is no question but the Type-R if that guy knows how to drive i think it would be even? but you can still have fun trying.

My car specs.. 98.5 A41.8TQMS ABT/AMS Stage 2 boost peak 1.2Bar hold till 4,500rpm then dropped down, T5 intake, Scorppion exhaust, and probably my RS-4 grill with the badge hellped out too. i had the V6TT in spirit....heheheheh.... other than that nothing more just your regular suspension mods and i was lugging around my 18" borbet type TD's and these puppies are not too light either.

well i had fun sorry to write so much junk on the web but i just wanted to inform you guys....

Juan M.
Rice-Cooker, make that Filipino Rice-Cooker hheheheheh
Old 03-08-2001, 12:05 PM

Thank you soooo much at least one person believes me now!!!
Old 03-08-2001, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Interesting...Very interesting indeed...
Old 03-08-2001, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Acura Type-R,GSR vs Audi 1.8T chipped (real info first hand)

first off the GSR only comes in a 2 door so it was probably a GS or LS which have much less horespower than a GSR and Type-r (125 and 140 respectively) a true GSR has 175 stock and a type r has 200 stock. Also they both redline at damn near 8,000 (7,500 is where it "officaly redlines at but 8,000 isnt uncommon for tuned acuras) Also are you sure it was a true Type-R and not just a painted GSR what I mean is did it have the wing, badges, rims and lack of sun roof??? I dont doubt your story its just that I come from an extensive Acura Tuneing and Raceing (mostly Vigor's I just love that 2.5l in-line 5 and all off its torque) back ground and Ive had acouple good runs at the track in a Type-R (some you wont even belive its a stock car) Ill try to find some of my old timeslips to post. Any way Im sorry to hear the Acuras lost but Happy to hear that an Audi won. (can I rute for both sides at the same time)
Old 03-08-2001, 12:17 PM

Default I own both a 1.8T & a GSR, and have friend with an ITR. Chipped A4 is faster.

On a track, the lighter ITR would kick butt. But in 0-60 runs, the A4 is quicker. My wifes GSR isn't really that close, and its been clocked at anywhere from 6.9-7.4s 0-60mph by magazines.

I've also Gtech'd all 3 for whatever thats worth.

I definitely believe a chipped A4, when driven right, can do a 6.5s or less 0-60 run.

-Dave
Old 03-08-2001, 12:18 PM

Your sig is even better than your story.
Old 03-08-2001, 12:19 PM

Sorry BONE you are wrong, GSR is available 4 door
Old 03-08-2001, 12:20 PM

Default im rootin for......

both cars (audi acura) also, those integras rip around road courses! sweet cars!
Old 03-08-2001, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your right Im wrong

My bad just never saw one (probably would yell at whover got one if I did) I just STRONGLY dislike the 4 door integras adds undue weight to an already heavy (for the type of car it is) car.
Old 03-08-2001, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There are GSR 4 doors, and I miss those vigors...I looked for one for 3 years!

and had no luck :{

Quick Reply: Acura Type-R,GSR vs Audi 1.8T chipped (real info first hand)