A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Acura Type-R,GSR vs Audi 1.8T chipped (real info first hand)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not true BONE i buddy had a 95 GSR fo-do and it is a real GSR!!!!!
Old 03-08-2001, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can testify for this too...

Here's my experience racing a Type-R last week:

I pulled up to a light (first one in line) and a black Type R pulls to the light two lanes to my left, which happens to be the lane i needed to get in. i didnt think he'd floor it (no one ever wants to race me since my car "looks" stock), but to my suprise, us two shoot away from the crowd. We never looked at each other b4 the race, so we didn't have prior intentions, however, once we both saw that we were going fast, it was on! from 1st through 3rd, we were dead even. both our windows were down...i could have thrown something to him if i had to. By the time we (or I) hit 4th, I had to start slowing down. I got behind him since we were neck and neck and I had to make a left...he went straight. I was really suprised (and excited) at how well my car performed. My friend has a 98 Type R and I always thought his car was faster than mine, but we seemed about even. Now for that exhaust...

PS, i'm sure it was a Type R...it had the wing, the lower tie bar (saw it once I slowed down), the badges, the suede interior with red stitching, and the distinct change in tone once it hit VTEC...the works.
Old 03-08-2001, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I can testify for this too...

Ill probably screw this one up 2 but hey why stop when your on a roll but Im pretty sure the Type-R's never came in black (never seen one but hey I could be wrong like with everything else in this thread man and I use to be an Acura phile 2 man 3 weeks without an acura and a concousson and I forgett more about acuras than most people still know) also the GSR's (which do come in 4 door like everyone else seems to want to keep pointing out the one brain fart I did have [besides the cl misteak but hey I was close] and it had to be on the thread that never dies) come in black and they to have a V-Tech but its only a measly 170hp. Also its very easy (and cheep) to get the type R badges (Like 20 bucks for the trunk one) and the wings are a farely common addon so I should have put this in my first post but the easiest way to tell them appart is their rims heres a break down of the FACTORY rims on newer model ITR's
gs-hubcaps
ls-bbs style touring rims
gsr-pollished or non pollished 5(?6?) spoke slant
type-r-(white) white powder coat (Yellow) silver 6(?) spoke star pattern
but than again this dosent help on a car with aftermarket rims but alot of type-r owner's will keep the factory ones cuz they look good are pretty lite and they usually put more money into intakes and other performance componants
man I guess my brain really is like a box thats full I have to forgett one thing to learn another man Im just not used to makeing a misteak when it comes to Acura's ahh well I guess I have Audi on the brain
Old 03-09-2001, 03:02 AM
Elder Member

Type Rs came in two colors last year.....yellow and black.