A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Adding an Amp to 99.5 Non-Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-1999, 06:58 AM
Ken Koh

Default Adding an Amp to 99.5 Non-Bose system

I have been look thru the archives but didn't quite find exactly what I need to know, so here are my questions again....<p>I have a 99.5 Non-Bose system and I would like to<br>add an Amp and replace the rear deck speakers.<p>From what I have gathered, there are pre-amp outs on the factory Panasonic head unit but they are not standard RCA's. <p>1) Is this true?? <br>2) If it is, is there any aftermarket adaptor that you can just simply "plug in" without having to play with cabling??<br>3) If customer cabling has to be done, what is involved?? Is it just a matter of cutting RCA cables and connect them to the back of the head unit?<p>Thanx in advance for any info....<p>Ken<br>99.5 2.8QM
Old 05-18-1999, 07:14 AM
kj

Default Re: Adding an Amp to 99.5 Non-Bose system

there are 'line outs' not RCAs. You can either splice some RCAs and adapt or do what I did and buy an amp that accepts line outs -mine is RockfordFosgate but I am sure there are others.
Old 05-18-1999, 07:36 AM
David P

Default Read the subwoofer install FAQ

There is no plug-and-play adapter. You can easily splice into the necessary wires without cutting anything, however.<p>David
Old 05-18-1999, 08:12 AM
Rich L.

Default I pulled it off, although it was hard (much more)

I too did not find exactly what I needed in the archives, but there was good stuff that helped me a bunch. I managed to hook up an amp to drive a sub from the standard, concert stereo. I could not find an existing connector, so I kinda made my own. Not perfect, but it works great.<p>First, I moved the preamp connections of the head unit to the rear active speakers. I moved them from the rear preams to the front preamps. This left the rears for the subwoofer and will allow the fader to work as a sub level control. I got this idea from the archives.<p>I cut a patch cable and connected the shielding of both sides to the common ground pin marked "com." I connected the turn on lead to the pin with the picture of the switch. I did these connection by re-crimping the pin onto the original wires and my wires together.<p>Then I modified the plastic connector by enlarging the holes around the left and right sports to allow the smallest female pin I could find at radio shack. I crimped these onto the core wires of the left and right patch cord cables. I had to push these in after the original connector was attached.<p>Now I'm fidling with the amp's gain control and crossover frequency. By also adjusting the fader to set the line level, I'm trying to balance things just right. I'm almost there. I can tweak the sub level from the head unit to thump or just do bottom fill.<p>BTW, I am using a 300W USAccoustics amp and a 12" Infinity Kappa subwoofer in a QLogic sealed box. I got all of this and an installation kit from Crutchfield for $450.<p>Feel free to send email if you want to know more about my install.<p>Rich L.<br>'99 1.8TAQMS<br>