A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Adding PES supercharger . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-1999, 02:12 PM
rich

Default Adding PES supercharger . . .

I am considering upgrading my 99.5 A4 2.8 QMS with the PES supercharging system.<p>For those of you who have purchased (or are also considering purchasing) the kit, do you recommend any other upgrades so that the car can safely accomodate the additional horsepower/torque? My car already has the sport suspension and the only other addition to the car that I am currently planning would be a set of 17'' ABT A23 wheels with some Z-rated tires (e.g., Dunlop SP9000).<p>For example, is it necessary or recommended to upgrade the exhaust system? Is the Quattro system adequate to handle the extra torque? Does the PES system require any special or additional maintenance?<p>Any insights and general comments about the performance/reliability/liveability of this system from current owners would be very helpful. Thanks.<p>/rich<br>
Old 06-25-1999, 02:53 PM
ToNyG3

Default I have...

the 2.8 PES system on mycar. As recommended by PES, to change theexhaust system, I decided on the STEBRO catback system. I really like this system because of the price $630, quality (all stainless steel), and the subtleness of the tips(not like a coffee can). It is also recommended to use synthetic oil. I think another good upgrade if you are purchasing this system is to upgrade the brake system(larger rotors and 4 pot calipers) as you do go up to high speeds very quickly and stock brakesis not up to the task. I hope this helps..<p>Tony G.<br>fort lee NJ
Old 06-25-1999, 06:10 PM
Dwain Sealy

How much will an A6 benefit from the PES system? Any numbers?
Old 06-25-1999, 08:53 PM
Amro

Default Rode in one...my concerns

I rode in a PES 2.8. As far as power all I can say is WOW. But...<br>The noise level was a bit high for me. The supercharger can definately be heard at any amount of acceleration. However, under hard acceleration, the exhaust was louder that the supercharger (I don't remember which exhaust was in the car).<br> I'd talk to Tony at PES before you decide on a catback system. See if it's really necessary.<p>My $.02 :-)<br>Amro
Old 06-25-1999, 10:20 PM
Rob

Default I've got one and....

I too have the sports suspension but still feel it is not enough. Especially after I rode in a a4 with the bilstein/eibach combo. I will be swapping the suspension for that. Quattro can handle the torque. Not sure as to how well the cutch will fair in the LONG run...(Ive gotten 150,000+ miles out of stock Audi clutches before) so we will see. I don't abuse it but heck if it goes, a racing clutch is relatively inexpesive compared to other things....<br>Do an exhaust as recommended by Tony (I went with Brullen, lifetime warranty, 93% happy) <br>The PES does make a whine under acceleration running through the gears but at highway speed and cruising, it is relatively quiet compared.<br>Hope that helps!